Baby gender and old wives tales
We gave a few of these tests a try and the results might surprise you.
Eleven Bub Hub volunteers performed 10 of the Old Wives' Tales and FIVE of the tests were right more than 50% of the time. We are continuing the tests too so visit the Baby Gender Test Thread to join in!
Those tests were:
The Baby's Heartrate test (80%)
The Ring Test (67%)
The Carrying High or Low test (60%)
The Watermelon or Basketball Belly Test (60%)
A Girl Steals Your Looks (54%)
So according to our tests, the best way to predict your unborn baby's gender is to check its heartrate followed by the old-fashioned Ring Test!
The rest of the tests didn't go so well. The Craving Sweet or Sour test was only right 50% of the time, the same percentage as a pure guess. The theory that if dad puts on sympathy weight then you're having a boy was only correct in 36% of cases.
The most surprising result was perhaps Mother's Intuition. Turns out we aren't a particularly intuitive bunch as we were only right 45% of the time!
Here are the full results:
Heartbeat 8/10 = 80%
Ring Test 6/9 = 67%
Carrying high or low 6/10 = 60%
Watermelon or basketball belly 6/10 = 60%
Girl steals your looks 6/11 = 54%
Craving sweet or sour 4/8 = 50%
Chinese Gender 5/11 = 45%
Mum's intuition 5/11 = 45%
Linea nigra 5/11 = 45%
Dad gaining weight 4/11 = 36%
Here are the details of tests we performed:
1. The Ring Test. Get a ring and thread through a strand of your hair or string. Dangle the ring over your belly and wait. Observe whether the ring swings side-to-side (like a pendulum) or around in a circle. The ring is supposed to predict all your children so if you already have one child the ring will spin one way, then stop, then spin again to predict the second child and so on ... CIRCLE is girl, SIDE-TO-SIDE is boy (remember to take other kids into account).
2. Chinese Gender Chart. Work out your lunar age and month of conception then use them to find the baby's gender on this Chinese Gender Chart
3. Mother's intuition. What do you think you're having?
4. A girl steals your looks. Do you look radiant? Are you blooming or are you blemishing. Apparently a girl steals your looks so if you're looking great it is a boy. If you've looked better then it is a girl.
5. Are you carrying high or low? A boy is low and a girl is high.
6. Have you had cravings? If you crave sweet it's a girl, sour/savoury it's a boy
7. How's your Linea Nigra? The linea nigra can appear on your belly during pregnancy. It's a brownish line down the middle of your belly to your pubic area. If you get a línea nigra and it runs from your pubic area and beyond your belly button then it is a boy. If you don't get it, or if it stops at or below your belly button it is a girl.
8. How fast is baby's heartbeat? You'll need results from one of your scans to do this. Enter the results on this Baby Heartrate Gender site
9. Is the father gaining weight too? If he is putting on sympathy pregnancy weight then it is a boy, if not, it is a girl.
10. Are you carrying a watermelon or basketball? If you look like you swallowed a watermelon it's a girl, if it is a nice round basketball it's a boy!
To see the full test (or to take part) visit the Baby Gender Testing Forum Thread
Thanks to the following BH members who took part: jakobysmum, shanstar, dicey, kitikali, Shel82, Poinciana, moonlily, Chase, MummyToTwoGirls, IsaRob, LG, huggingwinnie, mlks, mkmills30, jenrose, Langgymummy and shull
want to know more?
For more articles, local directories of shops and services, checklists, calculators and more visit our...