How to start a business and declutter your house
Online auction sites are the perfect place to test the market with your product. Most have special storefronts enabling you to display all your products in one place, without the cost of setting up your own website. The traffic you receive will be significantly higher than you could achieve with a website alone, giving you and your business maximum exposure for minimum cost.
You may need to test the market with a few different products before finding the one that is perfect for you. If it is new goods you are looking to sell, try wholesalers, importers, retail shops for sale items or factory outlets. For secondhand items, try local markets, garage sales, auctions or op shops.
What better way to make extra money, and still spend time with your children, allowing you to set your own working hours and work around your families needs.
Looking for an easy way to sell clothes, toys, games and other 'essential' kids' goods that you no longer need?
Look for an auction site in Australia dedicated to the baby, children and parenting arena. More specifically, find one that has no listing fees if the item does not sell, then it will be "risk-free" (cost you no money) should the goods not sell.
Another feature to look for is Auto Re-list, by selecting this option goods can automatically re-list themselves if they do not sell the first time, giving you more time to do the things you really love.
I have compiled a list of hints and tips to help you get started:
- To attract more traffic, you may like to consider starting your auction at a lower starting price. You can, of course, still choose a reserve so your goods do not sell at a price lower than you want.
- Choose the category that is most specific to your product to maximize viewing.
- Think about the times of the day you start/finish your auctions. If your auction is due to close at dinner or bath time for the kids, you could be missing out on sales.
- Think carefully about the title description that you write. This is what the customer will see as they are browsing through the listings. It's what they see here that convinces them to click on your listing. Spelling is also important - if it is spelt incorrectly, you could be missing sales when prospective buyers try to search for your item.
- The more detailed your item description is, the less questions you will receive, which is less time spent responding to prospective buyers. Remember to include your terms and conditions, so the buyer clearly knows when contact or payment is due.
- Include photos - this has been shown to increase sales. Try to take the photos in the daylight, so they are sharp and bright.
- Buyers love a bargain, so combine postage when a buyer buys more than one of your items. State this in your listing. Also make sure, where including postage that it is accurate, so you do not cut yourself short when you go to post the item to the new owner.
- Make sure that your contact details are correct so the potential buyer may ask you a question regarding your item. And ensure you answer questions promptly, this will increase sales.
- If your item does not sell the first time, or you have multiples of the same item you may like to consider features like auto-listing. These will automatically re list the item for you should it not sell the first time.
- Take advantage of the upgrade options. This will put your listing to the top of the list giving you more exposure. These include gallery listings, making your listing bold, adding additional photos. Charges may apply.
Hidden Treasures - De-cluttering Your Home
It's always a good time to de-clutter the house of all those goods that your kids can now live without. A great way to do this is to involve them in the process. Get them to sort their rooms out into 3 piles
- Keeping Pile - Goods they still want and are actively playing with or still fit.
- Sell Pile - Goods that are still in good condition, but they no longer play with or fit into them, to be sold
- Discard Pile - Goods that are not in good condition, for example broken, to be thrown away
You could let them keep the proceeds of the sale - a great way for the kids to gain pocket money and learn an important life lesson on money management at the same time. Another great idea is encouraging them to donate a portion of the proceeds to charity so they can help those less fortunate than themselves.
Whatever you decide to sell, joining the online auction revolution is an easy way to make extra cash from home. Perfect for most mothers that want to spend time with their families, allowing you to work when your children are asleep. Auction sites have a 24 hour trading environment enabling your items to sell at any time of the day or night. You can't get that from a shop front business!
want to know more?
For more articles, local directories of shops and services, checklists, calculators and more visit our...:: jobs & careers info hub