I must admit I haven’t tried anything like this before – but it certainly sounds amazing! These kinds of different recipes usually do taste great once you get around to trying them – so why not give this a whirl?
This recipe will make a big batch of around 80 meatballs – so you can freeze them for later as well!
- 1kg pork mince
- 2 chia eggs (2 tablespoons chia seeds soaked in 6 tablespoons water until they gel)
- 2 red apples - peeled, cored and quartered
- 2 red onions - peeled and quartered
- 4 garlic cloves - peeled
- 4 fresh sage leaves or 2 tsp dried
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Prepare the chia eggs and set aside.
- In a food processor, add the onion, apple, garlic and sage.
- Pulse until finely chopped and combined.
- Break up the mince in a large bowl. Add the onion/apple mix along with the chia, honey, dijon and parmesan.
- Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- At this point, you can divide the mix and put in labeled zip lock bags for freezing.
- If you'd like to cook a batch immediately, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large fry pan.
- Roll the mix into smallish meatballs and fry until golden on all sides.
- You could then add a lovely simple tomato sauce or, if you're in a real hurry as I normally am, just throw a tin of diced tomatoes over the lot and simmer until it thickens slightly and the meatballs are cooked.
- Serve on a bed of rice.