What types of maternity clothing do you really need?
What clothes are easy, and where should you get them from?
These are a couple of questions that we hope to answer with this post, and hopefully you can use these great tips.
Budget wear – for around the house
- Op shops – if you’re not picky, try a second-hand shop; they’re bound to have heaps of clothes you can grab for cheap, whether they’re proper maternity wear or just bigger and comfy for around the house.
- Discount department stores – places like Target, Big W, or Kmart are great for picking up cheap clothes first-hand. You can find some great bargains, as well as great quality clothes you can wear on more occasions than just at home.
- Partner’s clothes – if he or she is bigger than your normal size, you could steal some from them for a while.
Work wear – for working mums-to-be
- A couple of nice bottoms – a plain black skirt and/or black pants with good elastic/maternity waist is a must for workplace attire. They match practically everything and are very professional. There are lots of great work pants and skirts at Angel Maternity.
- Couple the bottoms with work-appropriate, flowy tops that hide or accommodate the bump – depending on when you’re telling people, and what kind of tops you are able to wear in your workplace. You can find great tops at Mamaway – both nicer ones for work, and more casual types.
Smart casual wear – for a slightly fancier look
- A pair or two of quality maternity jeans – one would be enough, depending on how often you need to wear a smarter outfit. Even Jeans West does maternity wear – check it out!
- Nice leggings are always comfortable – these can be dressed up or down depending on your occasion.
- Pair either of these bottoms with a nice top, or a more casual top and some accessories to suit the look you’re going for.
- Casual style maternity dresses – either a maxi-dress or a shorter one, knee-length one would do well. Getting simple fabrics won’t make them too fancy for smart-casual, and they can be dressed up to more formal if you need to. Dresses are great for when pants become too difficult with a big bump, and for the summer months when pants just make you sweat. Ostara has some great dresses you can take a look at.
Formal wear – for weddings or formal events
- You could wear leggings with a good top (sparkly, shiny, or just fancy) and dress it up with accessories – even heels if you can still wear them!
- Fancy maternity dresses – can get some really pretty ones, prettier than some non-maternity dresses too! And everything can be dressed up with accessories, hair, and makeup. Queen Bee is perfect for maternity dresses for any occasion.