Christmas is a time for family, fun, and eating yummy food – so why not combine them!
Baking and cooking with your kids is a great learning experience for them, as well as extra bonding time – and you can find out if your little one might be a chef in the making!
These recipes – posted by Bub Hub forum members – are super easy for you to make, and littlies can help out where they can. Bigger kids can be taught how to prepare and make each component – with close supervision and help from mum or dad.
It’s a great time for everyone, and you end up with a delicious, Christmassy snack!
White Christmas Coconut Bites
- 250g copha
- 2cups rice bubbles
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 cup milk powder
- 3/4 cup sultanas
- 1/2 cup chopped red and green jellybabies
- Lightly grease a 20x30cm slice pan and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Place copha in a small saucepan and heat on low, stirring, for 4-5min until melted.
- Transfer to jug and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour in copha and mix well.
- Press mixture firmly into pan.
- Freeze for 15 minutes, or until set, then chill until ready to serve.
- Cut into small pieces to serve – and enjoy!
- 125g butter, chopped, at room temp
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups plain flour
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 cup golden syrup
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Lightly grease 2 baking trays and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Beat butter and sugar together in a large bowl with an electric beater, for 2-3min or until creamed. Add egg yolk, and beat well.
- Sift flour, ginger, and bicarb soda together.
- Warm syrup in microwave on high for 20 seconds.
- Fold flour mixture into butter with syrup to form a dough.
- (Kids can help with the next parts) Knead dough gently on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper until 0.5cm thick.
- Using cutters, cut out shapes.
- Place on prepared trays and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Cool on trays.
- Decorate with icing and cachous once cold.
- Beat 1 egg white with wooden spoon until frothy.
- Add 1 1/4 cups sifted pure icing sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition.
- When icing is at piping consistency, add a few drops of lemon juice and colouring.
- Pipe to decorate.
These simple recipes will be a great addition to Christmas snacks before the big day and a big batch can be served on Christmas Day for family!
Check out more awesome Christmas tips and recipes in our Christmas Hub.
Image credit: shashkina/123RF Stock Photo