User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Avent teats (variable flow)

Hi there. I use Avent bottles and teats. Liam is just over 3 months old and I'm still using the no.2 teat (for 1 month plus bubs). He seems fine with it but the other day I went out and bought some teats that are variable flow for 3 months plus bubs. They are supposed to be slow, medium & fast flow but no matter which level I try Liam chokes and gags like it's coming out too fast. Has anyone else had this problem with these teats and what no. do you use for your bub of similar age?
    Me (Jo),
    Liam James born 25/02/2007
    Jamie Luke born 21/5/2010

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been using Avent bottles too since Tyler started bottle feeding (about 2.5 mnths) and have stuck to the numbers matching up with their age (i.e. #2 from 1 month, #3 from 3 months).

DS is now approaching 5 months in a few days, is a VERY big drinker and is having no problems with this one.

I tried a variable flow teat in another bottle and he had trouble with it until about 4 months, then he was fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoMart View Post
    Hi there. I use Avent bottles and teats. Liam is just over 3 months old and I'm still using the no.2 teat (for 1 month plus bubs). He seems fine with it but the other day I went out and bought some teats that are variable flow for 3 months plus bubs. They are supposed to be slow, medium & fast flow but no matter which level I try Liam chokes and gags like it's coming out too fast. Has anyone else had this problem with these teats and what no. do you use for your bub of similar age?
    Weird... I was going to post EXACTLY the same thing!! Connor is on no 2 teat and I bought the variable flow ones from the supermarket as he seems to be taking ages to feed so I thought it was time to go up one - but same thing he gags and chokes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find them too fast even with thickened reflux formula! I would recommend saving them until your baby is older and purchasing the 2 or 3 teats for a slower flow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Heat up a standard needle and put a couple of extra holes in your Level 2 teat. That's all I did with mine and they worked perfectly. When he wanted faster flow I just put in a couple of new holes.
    DS - Our big school boy
    DD - Our miracle little girl
    Angel babies - 3 gorgeous souls watching over us all

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a similar problem when I tried to go to the next level of teats. My baby is five and a half months old and I have only just put him on the 'number 3' teat.
    When I tried him previously on this teat he would choke and gag a lot so I waited a while.
    I don't think you can go on what it says on the packaging so just go with what your baby is happy with. My bub has got a lot more wind since going to the next teat but he's not choking when he feeds so that is my benchmark.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Forgot to say in my last post that I did try the variable teats and did not find them any good at all. Also forgot to say that I use Avent teats. Baby brain.... makes you forgetful... sorry

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hated the variable flow teats, and so did the kids. They were always either drowning or getting nothing!

I chucked them all out, and just stuck with the actual numbered teats.
    Roxy
    Mummy to Miss 9 and Master 7
    ED to 2 (Miss Melbourne ~ Nov 06 and her baby sister Miss Melbourne 2 ~ Mar 10)

"Children are 1/3 of our population, but all of our future"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky Little Monkey View Post
    I find them too fast even with thickened reflux formula!
    The same here!! She still chokes on no1 flow with thickened formula, shows how fast they are.
    I thought I was being smart buying them. I was planning water with no1 and the thickened formula no2 or 3...So that cost me $9 and cant use them!

We are using no2 regular ones now and dd is 5+ months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh dear, I just bought size large in the pigeon peristaltic range (the biggest available). Reece skulls 250mls in about 10 mins flat without spilling a drop. He is such a guts
    The only thing I can suggest is to try another brand?
    Me DH
    Master 4 and Master 2
    Our family is complete

My goal is to be fit and healthy again.