User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default how much to des*x and microchip a dog?

the vets are all closed the last 2 days obviously and i REALLY want to know how much it is all going to cost my partner so i can know what type of reaction to expect when he finds out the price.....LOL

we have a dog that was RUDLY given to my son for christmas when i CLEARLY stated we did NOT want a dog... but my dad is a jerk and got my cousins who drove for 2 days to bring one of their pups down for my son. and anyways it would have been a slap in the face for them for us to decline it when they went to all the troubles of sneeking it into hotels and stuff just to bring it for us... but they could have checked with us first and not just took my dads word... now they are gone back to QLD my dad is DEFINATLY going to hear my thoughts on this !!!

anyways now we have her... we DO love her and WILL take GREAT care of her... and well she isnt desexed or microchiped and we need to get it done cause i dont want any puppies and i definatly dont want to loose her specially since she runs away from you instead of to you when you call her... she thinks thats a fun game making us run after her down the street !!!

so does anyone know how much it is approx to desex a tiny female dog?! and microchip?

maybe i should hit my dad up for the money since it was his bright idea to get this dog... *giggles*
    Last edited by ThomasMum; 27-12-2005 at 14:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're really only going to get a representative answer by talking to your local vet. Fees will vary between practices. Vets should be open today and the remainder of the week.

If you adopt a dog from one of the animal shelters (such as RSPCA) the adoption fee of around $200 usually includes initial vaccinations and desexing. So as a rough guide you could figure on that. And off the RSPCA website: Some RSPCA Veterinary Clinics offer desexing at a discounted rate. To check whether this service is available please contact your local state or territory RSPCA.

Some shelters will run doggy fun fairs periodically, and I know the one in Perth organises to have microchipping available at very low cost or free.

You also need to factor in the cost of puppy vaccinations and an obedience course. The obedience course is not just for puppy but for you (or your partner) to learn to be consistent with commands so that pup can obey them.

Pet insurance is available too. Similar to health insurance for us, it will help to pay vet bills for illness or injury (and with 2 accident prone dogs I wish we had invested in it). Pet insurance will often also partially cover puppy vaccinations and desexing, so if you get it early enough it can pay back pretty quickly. Link to: RSPCA Pet Insurance. There are also other insurers, talk to your vet.
    Martha
    Jack of all trades, master of none.
    But loving this life of mine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know about the desexing yet, as my puppy is not quite 10 weeks old, and won't be done until he is older, but last week my vet charged $45 for the microchip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As Martha said, it will vary on the practice. Usually, it's around $130 - $170 for boys and $150 - $220 for girls. That's just the desexing part though.

Check with any local animal shelters - you may be able to get it cheaper. Also, our local one up here also runs a fun fair type thing, so it's worth asking around at the shelters about it.

Also, if you want to do the obedience thing, and get your pup to socalize (which generally makes for a happier dog later in life) check out your local vets for Puppy Preschool. Most vets seem to run it now, and it shouldn't cost too much. If you use their practice to get the desexing and vaccinations done it might not cost you any thing. Puppy Preschool covers obedience and socalizing and teachs the owner pet-friendly methods of how to deal with situations. Some also offer doggy products at a discounted rate.

And remember to check your pup for fleas and ticks, etc. It's a good idea to take her into the vet and get them to do the vaccinations or whatever, but also get them to show you how to clip her nails and check for ticks (if you don't know how to yet). You may spend $20 more on the first visit, but it's worth it.

Also check out - http://www.go2pet.com/ They sell products cheaper than the vets or pet stores. Coles also sells flea, tick and worming stuff fairly cheap as well, but it doesn't always work as well - it just depends on the animal.

Hope this helps, and have lots of fun with your new pup!
    Me old
    DH fossilized
    DS January 06
    DD August 08

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanx... well the vets wasnt open today. i guess i will just call tomorrow... or i might try the RSPCA they sound like they might be cheaper.

cant imagine doing surgery on such a tiny dog... ohh well im sure they know what they are doing.

thanx again

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my dogs desexed at a vetinary training school only got charged $70 for a boy dog and $90 for a girl, perhaps their are some in your area!

Thanks
    Reviews
    wow thats cool... i havnt ever seen anything like it but it wil be worth looking around for.... im in newcastle nsw. if anyone knows of a good place close by or anywhere in surrounding areas for a good vet will be appreciated ... cause i hate the vets near my house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep they vary widely as the others have stated so do your research as some are complete ripoffs !!!! One place i looked into were charging $150 for my boy cat yet after we moved we found a great vet who did him for $90 huge difference !!!
    Also remember with females they become expensive as they get older due to them coming on heat most vets charge as its a harder procedure or so they say my mum's vet always laughs at that & she is also fairly cheap for desexing but neither of these places are close to you. Most vets will also give you a discount if you get all the desexing microchipping & vaccinations done at once mine did anyways & again so does my mums as its easier while the animal is under especially as the microchip can hurt due to it being a rather large needle.
    Try a few animal shelters up your way even if they dont do it themselves they will point you in the direction of a good vet & sometimes remember it is worthwhile to pay a little extra for a good vet who you feel comfortable with, who is helpful & answers questions. I had one down in Melb i paid an extra $50 per visit than normal but he was so great i refused to change hehe answered all my questions etc.
    But it is a big must you invest in obedience so puppy pre-school is a good start so when you find a vet ask about this as they tend to run classes & a book called "The Dog Whisperer" by John Richardson is awesome & very useful as your puppy needs to grow up knowing its place in the pack & being trained so that you have control as this will create a happy adjusted doggy who will become a great pet & family member !
    Good luck !
    p.s - I would try & get your Dad to pay for part costs as i bet he didnt pay your cousins for this pressie !!!!! Or at least he could pay for a kennel & toys

Thanks
    Reviews
    Local animal shelters/RSPCA/AWL usualy charge approx $80 (much cheaper than a vet) and all done by fully trained professionals of course. Microchipping is usually around the $40-45 as Aardvark said previously which can be done at the same time. In Qld dogs also have to be registered after 6 months, which costs approx $35 (heaps better than the $150 on the spot fine - which also applies if you overlooked the bill as in our case x2 as we have 2 dogs).

Then there is also the vaccinations which have to be done quite regularly and don't forget worming - heart worm and all wormer (some do it all together, but usually there are two seperate tablets), also flea treatments. Our boys are indoor dogs and we only treat them with flea treatment just before and after they go to the pet resort when we go away as a precaution. We are also a little bit relaxed with the worming as they do not mix with other animals.

Dogs are a huge responsablilty both financially and literally (eg. no more spontaneous nights away from home), and you're right, they should never be given as a gift as in your case, which is why so many dogs & cats end up in the pound at this time of year. However, if you are prepared to have them a part of your life and family, the devotion they give you is totally worth it , good luck.
    Hubby = 31 Me = 30 Thomas = 13/02/05

List of Parental Requirements
    Affection without Sentiment, Authority Without Cruelty,
    discipline without aggression, humour without ridicule,
    sacrifice without obligation, companionship without possessiveness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yep we have the flea/tick control coverd. we have the worming part coverd... she will be registerd after she is desexed and microchiped which will all have to be done soon because she is 5 months and it says it must be done before 6 months

im going to ring around now... they must be open today...

thanx guys (sorry gals !)