+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Formula?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Which Formula?

Just wondering which formulas you guys use for your reflux babies? I was usuing just normal Karicare, but the GP has told me to use Soy. I have reservations about Soy so I thought Id ask what you all use.
    Belly Dancin' Tribe Mama to three original girls

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm on to baby #2 with Reflux and for both we used a normal formula (karicare gold) and bought the karicare thickner to add seperately. You can add it too any formula you like as well and adjust how thick it is. The thickened formulas you can buy were always too thick for my 2. My 2 have also been on medication - DD was on zantac and now DS is on losec (very expensive losec is!!) I was never told to change to soy and we have been in the care of a paediatrician the whole time so unless your little one has some kind of allergy I am not sure why they would suggest that?

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son was also in the care of a peads, he told us to get s26 AR, it helped alot.
    Baby Boo Due 6/08/2008

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bubs was on Karicare AR but he was constipated on that so we changed him to Karicare HA AR and so far so good....I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Mel - 32
    James - 30
    Lachie 20/12/06

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks guys. josie is on Losec already. We are seeing a peadiatrician in April. Unfortunatly my fears regard the fact that she is not putting on weight. The dr thought soy as there may be an intollerance to cows milk, although there is no signs that point to it apart from reflux.
    Come to think of it, the last bottle I gave her was soy and she didnt throw up on it. Hmmm. I really dont know what to do as Soy is not a good option due to many different reasons most of which I found on the Dr Sears website.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used Enfalac AR. It didn't help much at all, but she was a severe refluxer. Even propping her upright and putting her on solids didn't help. The only thing that helped was Prepulsid and Zantac.
    Last edited by FourAngelKisses; 16-03-2007 at 09:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Zara has reflux and we have her on the Karicare AR and she keeps it down. She has also been on Losec but by far the most effective thing has been her chiropractic treatment that she has been having for the last month!
    Linley 29 Valentine Jason 30
    Zara Marie
    Our Cheeky Monkey born 17/09/06

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    my dd is a servere refluxer and she is on Neocate formular it is a perscrition one and is dairy and soy free as she is Milk soy protein intolerant which is a common problem amongst refluxers to thicken it i use gaucol we tried every thing and for her that was the best one she still refluxes a lot and has a lot of pain but she is very servere and only been feeding oraly for 2 months now and she is a year old

i noticed you said your baby is on losec mikenzee is also on that amongst her other medications and i just houhg i would let you know in case you dont already but you can actualy get it compounded so that you dont have to go disolviing tablets as i know how much that sucks and i have found that with the compound it works batter as you can be sure to get it into them properly and also the buffer in it protects the losec beads until it gets to the stomache so the works most afectively but yes like one of the others said yep losec is expensive especialy on a hight dose we pay 60 dollars a month for ours as we get a compound every 14 days but its worth it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mackenzies mum, I think I am actually dealing with a milk soy protein intollerence also. I have been doing a little research lately and it seems like this is the case. The dr suggested at our last visit that we try soy. I wasnt ccomfortable with soy but thought, ok, if it works Ill try it. I gave it a go for two days and on the first no throw ups, on the second, we had throw ups again so I got rid of that. I know I didnt try it for long, but wasnt comfortable with the soy in any case. Since theen I have given her Karicare HA AR and only little vomits. So far so good.
    Im not sure that this may be an indicator of the intollerence or that I am just trying to find an answer and this one seems to fit. I am assuming that since she hasnt vomited this week much, she will have put on weight (so far only 2 pounds since birth).
    Josie is by no means as unwell as your little one as she is at least happy and is able to feed orally. She is still mostly only having little bottles (90ml - 150ml) but not throwing up so much, so maybe not reflux at all? I dont know what to do now or where to go to find out whats happening here or if I even need to find out and just get over it.
    We have a paediatric apointment in April so i guess that might help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ahhhhh crikey. Now even though she has not been vomiting nearly as much on the new formula, she seems to be having runny yucky poohs on it. THere are no ideas left for me now excepting maybe that one that the paediatricians have to write a script for. This is rediculas. Anyone else have this problem? If it were a milk protein intollerence, she would have more of a reaction and it would have been quicker huh? Is this an option I should explore more thoroughly with our doctor?