User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Stretch and Sweep?? ..... just a quick Q plz

Hi, i just have a quick question..

Has anyone had a stretch and sweep?, does it help move things along? does it hurt? does it really work??

I am over due but i don't want to be induced and i my doc is going to give me a stretch and sweep (i hope thats what its called!?) in 2 days to help get things moving ..

id love to hear what everyones experiences are with these.
    thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think they did the stretch thing, but I had gel as well (not sure if this is what you mean or not sorry ), contractions started straight away and I delivered within 8 hours. Seeing as they did both though I can't besure as to which worked quicker...
    Sorry
    Me 29 Hubby 31
    Ratbag DS1 Ratbag DS2

The bun is baking till 18th Feb 07!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the strech and sweep...one word...OWWW!
    Really really hurt, bought on painful cons....but thats it, was induced a week later

Thanks
    Reviews
    JazzPete_n_Codie bugger, just what i thought!

and Sarie : they not going to give me the gel with it (i dont think) just said something about stretch and sweep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

I had a sweep and it didnt hurt, just a bit uncomfortable like a smear test.

I was the same as you, was overdue and didnt want to be induced. (Despite the hospital putting a lot of pressure on me). My mum and sister both went over by 10 days with their first and it was likely that I would do the same. I tried all the usual suspects, rasberry leaf tea, currys, sex, walking, pinapple (not necessarily in that order!!).

The hospital suggested accupuncture. I had a session when I was 9 days over and the contractions started within hours. Not sure if things were brewing anyway but I'm convinced that the accupuncture helped me to have nice strong efficient (not too painful contractions). I was 8cm dilated when I went to hospital!

Good luck, hope bubs comes soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Manxie:
    well my midwife said it hurts! but like yourself some have said it was just abit uncomfortable!
    thats why i thought i would get as many opinions on bubhub.

my hospital are pretty pushy with the whole induction thing! im hoping to get things moving myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I could do it all over again, I would let things happen in their own time, your body and your baby knows whats best.
    Good luck...how exciting for you!!
    ((( Hugs )))
    Jazz

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in to be induced already I was 2cm, so I think she did it to try and help things along.
    It's not pleasant, though I don't think anything is at that time when everything is quite tender!!
    Good luck, I hope things happen for you before you need to worry!!
    Me 29 Hubby 31
    Ratbag DS1 Ratbag DS2

The bun is baking till 18th Feb 07!

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeh i got one too... PAINFUL... i hated it...
    i went into labour about 30 hours later and had Coby after 26 hours of a hellpainful posterior labour!!
    hope it goes better for you!
    Prince Charming 21.3.05 & The Princess 9.6.07

"The life from our love is the love of our life"

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't see a need for it unless you or the baby are in danger. The theory is that pulling the sac away from the wall of the uterus floods you with some of the various chemicals involved in labour. The downsides are that it's often painful, the person doing it can "accidentally" (or on purpose without asking you...) rupture your membranes which will make them tell you that you're now stuck in the hospy and must dilate to their timetable. These kinds of interventions only lead to more interventions. Remember that postdates doesn't begin until 42 weeks. Term is 38-42 weeks. About 70-80% of babies are born between 41-42 weeks and less than 5% come on that mythical all-important "ESTIMATED due date" So unless there are clear indications that your baby is suffering, why bother? And just because they like induction, doesn't mean you have to say yes. We know it leads to more interventions and to caesarean and instrumental births while just allowing babies to cook until they're ready (it's the baby's brain which starts labour after all) means your baby is genuinely ready to be born and very unlikely to suffer from any prematurity. Induction is the greatest cause of prematurity in Australia. If I were in your position I'd ask for a u/s at 42 weeks (from conception, not from LMP which means they're counting weeks when you weren't even pg!) and then just go home and let my baby cook.

Try these to see why your gut is telling you the right thing! I hope you have a beautiful birth

World Health Organisation’s document “Care in Normal Birth: a practical guide”
    http://www.who.int/reproductive-heal...ical_guide.pdf

Suspect Diagnoses Come with Biophysical Profiling
    http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/biophysical.asp

Elective induction of labour.
    http://www.hencigoer.com/articles/elective_induction/

This is stuff on postdates.

Post dates info

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...0&dopt=Abstract

Midwifery. 1991 Mar;7(1):31-9. Related Articles, Links

A contemporary view of the human placenta.

Fox H.

Our current knowledge of the human placenta is briefly reviewed. Particular stress is placed upon the considerable functional reserve capacity of the placenta, the unimportance of most visible abnormalities of the placenta, the lack of any evidence that the placenta ages during gestation and the lack of significance of placental weight. The effects on the placenta of infection and of maternal cigarette smoking are considered and the concept of placental insufficiency critically discussed. It is concluded that most cases of 'placental insufficiency' are, in reality, examples of maternal vascular insufficiency resulting from inadequate placentation during the early stages of pregnancy.

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/timely.asp

A Timely Birth
    by Gail Hart

http://www.birthlove.com/free/ten_month_mama.html

Birthlove’s 10 month mama page – extensive references.

Obstetric Myths Versus Research Realities

A link to a sample chapter.
    Enjoy!

http://www.hencigoer.com/obmyth/index.html#obthink