User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question late period/early miscarriage- how do you tell the difference?

im just wondering, if your period is late and you get a then you get period but are told its a early miscarriage, how do they know that??
    like how do they prove its actually a miscarriage that early??

do they do urine or bloods? wouldnt the pregnancy be too early to do any type of scan?

im confused. do they just guess and say 'yeah maybe it was a miscarriage'

I just dont think its right to tell someone they miscarried if there is no proof or definate that its not just a late period. miscarriage is not something to be taken lightly, i would be very upset if i had one, but wouldnt it be worse to be told you had one when you didnt and grieve for no reason? like it could seriously screw someone up because it was their 'baby'

they could be grieving for a 'baby' when it was not even one.

i have had several very late (2 week plus) periods which result in heavy bleeding etc. where these miscarriages or just late period? how do you differentiate between the two??

does that make any sense at all???

Thanks
    Reviews
    i had little placentas...and clotting
    mother of 5

there are a few ways to do anything, but my way is always right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bronny-jane View Post
    i had little placentas...and clotting
    little placentas???for you bronny that must have been so hard to go through

i have clotting quite regularly
    Last edited by Lirael; 21-12-2006 at 13:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    They usually take some blood and also they can check the cervix cause aparently as soon as the egg implants it changes slightly for some reason

I do know some docs that just jump to that conclusion, our AF is so complicated, it can be late for many reasons, like hormonal, stress,

I had a very early m/c ealier in the year and the only reason why I knew it was is cause a couple of days before I bleed I had a pos hpt, if i hadn't have tested I probably would've thought that my af was just late for some reason, that bleed was a little clotty as well

Forum Moderator

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tricky question. I'm not sure there really is any way to properly tell. They could do blood tests, but the may also see no point. I had a faint followed by a period a few days after, and the GP told me that there was no point doing a blood test. He suggested it was a "chemical" pregnancy. Don't ask me what that is!!

Go with your instinct (if you are asking the question about yourself). If you feel that you were preg, and you want to grieve, then you should. It's your body, and I'm a big believer in mother's intuition.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some people who test early may get a faint on a BFP, only for it to fade to nothing as the days go on. The only way to tell for sure if there was a pregnancy is with a blood test.
    Me 36
    DH
    DS born Aug 07
    DD born March 09