+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hang my washing outside (when it's not raining). I especially prefer my sheets hung on the line as they dry nicer and there's something comforting about crawling into a fresh bed with sun dried sheets.

Just the standard reva pegs you can get from Coles etc.

Undies and socks I usually do in the dryer because I'm too lazy to hang them all up.

Trackies by the waistband, but I actually fold the waistband over the line so I'm effectively pegging just under. Same with all pants. Occasionally in winter I will hang them by the ankles as the waistband doesn't completely dry so I'll use gravity and hope the circulating air will make a difference.

I usually peg by the corners. The only thing I don't is my flat sheets as I fold them over 2 strings of the line and peg in kind of the middle. My washing line is too short for my queen sheets so I fold them in half and then hang over 2 lines so the air flow will dry them completely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hang all my tshirts singlets tea towels etc all together in a long row with only one peg joining each piece, if that makes sense? Am I the only one?

Socks get a peg each unless I have loads of washing and running short of pegs. Towels folded over about a quarter...and outside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmMumma View Post
    I dry outside.
    One peg for undies!
    Pants by the waist!
    We get pegs from New Zealand each time we go on holidays (you cant get them that good over here)
    One peg on each sock
    My questions is... do you have a washing day? Do you do it daily? How the hell do i keep on top of it??
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1481950924.945892.jpg

Does it look like I keep on top of it? There are another 4 baskets that aren't in this photo and 3 loads yet to wash.

Ideally I would wash everyday but it doesn't happen.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

RoseMay  (17-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    In Winter, we hang all our clothes on clothes-horses in front of the fireplace. In Summer they are hung outside on our washing line.

We use Reva Super Hold pegs in the largest size. It's very windy where we are and the flimsier pegs are not strong enough.

Undies are hung out with one peg from a side seam. Socks get hung by their bands with one peg also.

Trackies, and indeed all pants, are hung by their cuffs. It saves the waist band from bunching up.

Everything I peg is done with a reasonable margin overhanging the line so as to avoid stretching.

And now onto the more important things:

Everything is hung from biggest (sheets) to smallest (socks) on the line, from the outside to the inside sections.

All undies have to be hung from the seam on the right, so they all face in the same direction. Socks are the same - they are hung by their bands and must be facing in the same direction too.

And if/WHEN The Husband gets all of this completely wrong, I then have to go out and re-hang the washing or I won't be able to sleep. Yes, I'm THAT pedantic about my washing!!!
    I don't rehang anymore. I just don't look at the line. I do refold though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Blossom74  (17-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hang outside unless the weather doesn't permit.
    Pants get pegged by the crotch. DH pegs by the cuffs, which takes two pegd and too much effort. By the crotch works fine.
    Shirts get pegged under the arms...or just one in the centre at the bottom in the middle if I'm in a hurry.
    Socks get thrown over the washing basket edges and dried that way because I can't be bothered pegging them all.
    I don't care how or who hangs my washing out.
    I use plastic pegs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about inside out clothes?? Most of the kids clothes ( and DP's) end up in the laundry hamper inside out, so what would others do??

a. Leave it inside out
    b. Turn it back the right way before washing
    c. Turn it back the right way whilst wet
    d. Turn it back the right way when folding?

I leave it inside out, wash it, dry it, fold it, put it away .....still inside out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    So, after hanging out a stupid amount of washing I feel the need to discuss the ins and outs of hanging.

Starting with, but not limited too:

Inside or outside?
    What type of pegs?
    How many pegs for undies?
    Trackies by the top or bottom?
    Peg by the corners or fold a decent amount over to stop stretching?
    Honest answer.
    Pegging out washing is what you have teens for. 😁

I have taught them
    Outside
    Not broken ones
    1 peg per undie or sock
    All pants bythe waist
    By the corners

Undies and socks only go on the inside line.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseMay View Post
    What about inside out clothes?? Most of the kids clothes ( and DP's) end up in the laundry hamper inside out, so what would others do??

a. Leave it inside out
    b. Turn it back the right way before washing
    c. Turn it back the right way whilst wet
    d. Turn it back the right way when folding?

I leave it inside out, wash it, dry it, fold it, put it away .....still inside out.
    #faints

Oh nooooo, lol. I turn it in the right way, then wash, then depending on what it is (for example, work clothes, dresses, anything black) I turn it inside out for hanging on the line so it doesn't fade.

Then it all gets turned back the right way for ironing/putting away....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

RoseMay  (17-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Attachment 87173

Does it look like I keep on top of it? There are another 4 baskets that aren't in this photo and 3 loads yet to wash.

Ideally I would wash everyday but it doesn't happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    #faints

Oh nooooo, lol. I turn it in the right way, then wash, then depending on what it is (for example, work clothes, dresses, anything black) I turn it inside out for hanging on the line so it doesn't fade.

Then it all gets turned back the right way for ironing/putting away....
    😂😂 and sorry , ironing?? Isn't that something you do to DP's shirt when you go to a wedding????

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RoseMay For This Useful Post:

amyd  (17-12-2016),Blossom74  (17-12-2016),softshellcrab  (17-12-2016)