+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mirena Pregancies

Hi there,

Anxious wait tonight to get blood test back tomorrow to confirm/rule out pregnancy. I had a Mirena inserted in January 2015 (as "cure", preventitive measure for endometriosis). Have one child currently 4. We have an appointment to remove Mirena on Tuesday to start ttc our second child. Since last Thursday I've felt exhausted, off food, no taste, period like pain particularly on left side, anxiety and nausea. Pretty much exactly how I felt about 4-5 weeks into my first pregnancy. Symptoms has been constant and become worse over the week. Conception would have had to have been 21/11 (possibly 13/11 but doubt it), which would mean I'm feeling these symptoms pretty early. Urine test negative, as expected this early if I was pregnant. Chances are ridiculously slim to none. But I'm worried because as much as we'd love to be pregnant, pregnancy with Mirena is huge likelihood of being ectopic (50% more likely than with "normal" pregnancy), and then if it's not ectopic there's the decision to leave Mirena in or take out. Doctor hasn't discussed, clearly not really any point until I get results tomorrow.

Looking for anyone who has experienced or knows someone who has experienced a pregnancy (preferably successful!) that was conceived when Mirena in place. Mirena definitely there. Had Pap smear early November and could clearly see strings. No heavy bleed or anything since that could've made it come out (actually don't get period, have had maybe 5 since inserted).

Ease my mind a bit!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Alright, updating everyone in case there was anyone following this who was in my position.

Blood test came back negative. Urine test for any infections, also negative.
    Nausea and cramp like pains continued.
    When the doctor removed my Mirena, I felt the most weird and horrible pang right where all the cramping pain had been coming from, left side of lower abdomen. It was horrible, and I never want to experience again. Doctor, and I, suspect when my pap smear was done a month ago (I had been rather off ever since, and took days to recover from cramping after it), the nurse was bumped the strings when sweeping the cervix for the smear, its then been touching uterine wall or Fallopian tube wall. So, good thing we were getting it taken out! Might not have been considered otherwise. Nausea has ceased! Pain took a little to settle. And now am in the full throws of AF: oh how I did NOT miss AF!

Not very confident we will conceive in the next month, realistically my cycles won't be predictable and a healthy couple can normally take up to 6 months to fall pregnant anyway. But, will just see what happens and once I have a normal cycle happen, we can start some serous tracking! Bring on the baby making!

So, if you feel pregnancy symptoms, all tests say negative and you've had a pap recently or its possible Mirena could have moved (really vigorous intercourse bumping strings or very heavy period maybe, don't know), have them check where it is, maybe ultrasound if you aren't wanting it out anyway. I'm interested to see what would have happened if we didn't get it out, but very glad we didn't have to!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EmeraldOwl For This Useful Post:

GingerKat  (17-12-2016),OneCheekyMonkey  (01-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hey @EmeraldOwl, I hate to be a downer, but we ttc straight after I had my mirena removed, even though I'd read lots of stories about uterine lining being too thin to support pregnancy in the first month after removal - my gynae said it was fine to ttc straight away.

We got pregnant and then lost that baby. I really think it was related to not having had a full cycle before falling pregnant.

It might be worth talking to your health care provider. All the best x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby_Tuesday15 View Post
    Hey @EmeraldOwl, I hate to be a downer, but we ttc straight after I had my mirena removed, even though I'd read lots of stories about uterine lining being too thin to support pregnancy in the first month after removal - my gynae said it was fine to ttc straight away.

We got pregnant and then lost that baby. I really think it was related to not having had a full cycle before falling pregnant.

It might be worth talking to your health care provider. All the best x
    Thank you for sharing what must have been a heartbreaking experience. I have expressed the same concerns with my doctor and have also read many similar experiences of this happening despite reassurances from healthcare professionals that there wasnt any extra risk. I do not believe we will fall pregnant this month regardless and ovulating when we have ahouse full of family and in laws probably won't result in any bedroom activities lol.I am so sorry for your loss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the mirena in for 3 months. Out on 25th October. Period on 29th. Conceived (accidently) on 19th November and am currently 6 weeks (seeing as I o'd later - 7 by dates) and so far so good. Not sure if only having it in 3 months makes a difference but it didn't seem to affect my fertility. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My friend had a mirena pregnancy where it became dislodged with heavy bleeding. Realised at 8 weeks when she felt rotten. Now has a gorgeous two year old.

My sister had a lot of trouble with the mirena. Lots of excruciating pain. Just had it out and she's having a hormone crash and her body is doing weird things.

Personally now wouldn't touch the mirena with a barge pole

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    My friend had a mirena pregnancy where it became dislodged with heavy bleeding. Realised at 8 weeks when she felt rotten. Now has a gorgeous two year old.

My sister had a lot of trouble with the mirena. Lots of excruciating pain. Just had it out and she's having a hormone crash and her body is doing weird things.

Personally now wouldn't touch the mirena with a barge pole
    I hear you on that one! I don't think I'll be getting it again. Yes my periods stopped which has slowed development of more endometriosis. But I couldn't lose weight for the life of me, was sluggish, libido effected, felt depressed. It was all so subtle and developed slowly after put in, but now it's out and only been out less than a week, I'm already feeling more awake and active. Weird.

Sorry to hear your sister had a horrible experience. That's fantastic your friend had a healthy baby after perhaps a rather surprising pregnancy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumoftwoprincess View Post
    I had the mirena in for 3 months. Out on 25th October. Period on 29th. Conceived (accidently) on 19th November and am currently 6 weeks (seeing as I o'd later - 7 by dates) and so far so good. Not sure if only having it in 3 months makes a difference but it didn't seem to affect my fertility. Good luck
    Glad to hear you're having a healthy pregnancy, perhaps a little surprising pregnancy!, after the Mirena.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A BIG surprise... I gave myself a month off (from contraception) and had a script for the pill ready for my next period (which I was expecting in 4 days after getting script filled).... still waiting....