+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toddler doesn't eat much meat

My 21 month old doesn't eat much meat. She will eat mince meat and fish but won't eat chicken or steak for example.

She puts it in her mouth tries to chew then spits it out.

Should I be worried she is limited on meat sources?Is it a texture thing?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep, it's usually a textural thing at that age , meat is quite chewy compared to other foods and if you didn't introduce it whole quite early the texture may take time to get used to - it's not a worry as long as they are getting other sources of iron like seafood ( mussels have more iron than red meat) eggs, chicken, chia seeds, quinoa, green leafy veggies, plus cut down on milk, especially at meal times as dairy can hinder iron absorption and eat vitamin c rich foods with your meals ( tomato, capsicum, kale, broccoli, cauliflower etc)

Mince is obviously easier but try make your own with better cuts of meat and make meat balls or little hamburgers or just keep offering it until she gets used to it - i only give my DS red meat once a week ( meat Mondays!)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Karot  (27-11-2016),Nafsika  (27-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Harder to chew!
    But honestly, I wouldn't be worried. You can have a perfectly healthy diet with little or no meat.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Karot  (27-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your responses. I have to hide green vegetable in with something sweet or in a soup so she eats them. I didn't know about the milk absorption. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Give her more mince meat and fish then. Give her other things with iron and protein. Keep offering things one day she might like them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Unschooling4 For This Useful Post:

Karot  (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't forget you can get chicken and pork mince so can get them into her that way. Chicken Rissole's, spaghetti made with pork mince, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Yep, it's usually a textural thing at that age , meat is quite chewy compared to other foods and if you didn't introduce it whole quite early the texture may take time to get used to - it's not a worry as long as they are getting other sources of iron like seafood ( mussels have more iron than red meat) eggs, chicken, chia seeds, quinoa, green leafy veggies, plus cut down on milk, especially at meal times as dairy can hinder iron absorption and eat vitamin c rich foods with your meals ( tomato, capsicum, kale, broccoli, cauliflower etc)

Mince is obviously easier but try make your own with better cuts of meat and make meat balls or little hamburgers or just keep offering it until she gets used to it - i only give my DS red meat once a week ( meat Mondays!)
    Awesome advice as always.

You should seriously get an award