+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toddler has tantrum after bath time

My 21 month old has tantrums coming out of the bath or pool. She adores the water but when you take her out she flips her body around And braces herself when she knows it's come to an end. So much so two people have to be present To take her out of the bath and dress her after.

Anyone else experience this and how did you deal with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A few ideas....
    Do you give her plenty of warning that her bath will finish soon? I would give a 5, then 2 and then 1 min warning.
    What if you don't say the bath is over but that it's time to take the plug out. Then say goodbye to the water and say goodnight and blow kisses to all the bath toys. Then after a few min of sitting in the now empty bath just ask if she's ready to get her nice warm pj's on.
    What about a shower instead? Does she behave the same when the shower ends?
    For my kids at that age I would try to find a way to avoid the trigger for the tantrum and also to try to focus on what fun thing we are doing next instead of focusing on the bath ending.
    Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Karot  (03-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just say "ok, time to get out now", then I pull the plug out the bath. Usually my 2 year old wants to get out fast once the water is all going down the plug hole. But then I'm a no-nonsense-mumma.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachel3072 For This Useful Post:

Karot  (03-12-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I take a similar approach to @RedCreamingSoda. We give lots of warning that it's almost time to get out. Then dd helps to pack up her bath toys and say good night to them. She squeezes out the face washer and puts it up. Then she tends to get out without any fuss. Getting her involved in transitions tends to be the main trick for us.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

Karot  (03-12-2016)