+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Station and engagement - what's the difference?

So today is my due date. Saw my OB for 40 week check up yesterday and he did an internal exam because I had been having some very minor period type aches and braxton hicks every 15-30 minutes. He thought I might be in very early labour but no dilation yet and cervix is still posterior but he said that my cervix is soft which is a good sign labour is probably imminent and that he'd be surprised if I make it to my 41 week appointment.One thing that confused me is that I noticed on my report that he said '-2 st' - which to my knowledge means baby is stationed at -2, with 0 being engaged, so in other words not engaged yet. But my GP mentioned from 36 weeks baby started engaging and last week when I saw her at 39 weeks, she recorded engagement at 1/5 and comment said 'head really well in'. Are engagement and station not the same thing? How can I be 1/5 at 39 weeks and -2 at 40 weeks?
    Last edited by MrsVZ; 25-11-2016 at 16:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What no baby is this? Apparently for subsequent babies the head can float in and out of engagement even during labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It could just be moving up and down. Especially if you have previously had a baby.

Soft cervix is good. So are the pains.

Also baby is not always engaged in the beginning of labour.

I'd try and relax this week and do all the fun stuff you like to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Baby number 1, so this is all new to me. Now that I think of it, pelvic pressure was much worse a week ago, maybe because I was a bit more out and about. Went for a walk this afternoon and wasn't struggling as much as usual, maybe I'll go do a few laps at the shops this weekend but then I just end up spending money 😂 maybe some Christmas shopping is in order!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have a fitness ball sit/bounce on that a bit. Curb walk. Up stairs.

And yay! It's exciting that it is so close - yet seems so far!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    If you have a fitness ball sit/bounce on that a bit. Curb walk. Up stairs.

And yay! It's exciting that it is so close - yet seems so far!
    Been bouncing on it every night since 28 weeks! Seems to have worked up until now so just need to keep active now. Fingers crossed not too long now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The -2 relates to the position from the ischial spines, which is an internal point in your pelvis. -2 is actually a good thing. This picture might help you out...

IMG_1480073803.049558.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    The -2 relates to the position from the ischial spines, which is an internal point in your pelvis. -2 is actually a good thing. This picture might help you out...

Attachment 86624
    Glad to hear -2 is a good thing, I suppose my OB would have mentioned if he was concerned. I just really don't want to be induced so I think I'm over analysing everything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    TBH most people start labour around -2, -3 station. I wouldn't worry. If you're getting twinges and bouncing on the ball etc then you're doing well.

Just reread your OP too and when your GP has said 1/5 it relates to how much of baby's head is above the pelvic brim. So if you look at the picture above, -4 would roughly equate to 5/5 above the brim. I think you're GP might have been a bit too enthusiastic with saying 1/5 at 39 weeks. Sometimes the position of the head on external palpation can feel more engaged depending on the way baby has his/her head tucked. Sometimes I can stand there trying to work out whether or not the head is well engaged or not engaged at all and it's something I do multiple times a day. It's all pretty subjective at times too.

Either way, don't fixate too much. Your cervix is soft, so that's a great place to start. Good luck for the next week or so. Hopefully Bub will be here before you know it!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (26-11-2016),MrsVZ  (26-11-2016)