+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    That's interesting that you have that approach with devices- I'm almost the exact opposite- I prefer them playing games on the iPad than tv, as I find tv really passive and tablets far more interactive. But my son watches tv like a little zombie, and is far more animated when he's playing games. He loves stuff that's all about problem solving, like Minecraft and the Lego games on PlayStation.
    I know not all kids are like mine. My niece and nephew turn into TV zombies too. So does DH whereas I hate not doing something else while watching TV - it drives him bonkers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD (4.5) has games on DH's iPad, but she treats them like she does any other toy / activity - a bit of a play here and there before moving onto the next. She's never shown signs of becoming 'addicted' to it so we've never regulated it. She hasn't touched it for weeks come to think of it! But all the games she plays are very interactive, I don't see any negatives to come from it yet

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post

We do have the TV on a lot, but it's so different to a computer or device. Watching TV the kids are generally still playing, drawing, etc at the same time but devices suck them right in so they're not interacting with others or their environment at all. We're not a fan of them. They're very habit forming (says she typing this on her phone) and I'd like to try not to let the kids get hooked.
    This is us, I put the tv on in the afternoon after school but he will still do Lego or play while occasionally looking up at it, he's never been allowed on our phones as he's learnt from the beginning they are work phones and he's not allowed to touch them ( which they are, we get calls and emails constantly) but DS is also the kind of kid who will sit in a waiting room or restaurant and play by himself with his hot wheels cars or superheroes- we don't have iPads in the house, not planned that way but my old one died two years ago and we never replaced it, he does use them at school or if we go to his cousins houses ( they are glued to them most of the time!) but he's never really asked for one so I'm not encouraging it! I'm sure it will change soon but for the time being he's happy without one and so are we!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find my kids turn in to zombies whether it's tv or computer time. Even as toddlers they'd become transfixed to a tv show and not move while it's on. Then their behaviour would be awful for the whole rest of the day (not wanting to watch more tv...just general bad behaviour). I also found if we watched a show after 5pm bed time became a nightmare and they slept terribly. It's always made me really conscious of their screen time and we never just have the tv on etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for sharing. At the moment DS (he is almost 5 yrs old) asks for it multiple times a day so I have a chart on the fridge so we tick when he uses it. He is allowed two ticks on kinder days (a little bit before kinder and after) and 3 ticks on non-kinder days (Morning, after lunch and just before dinner). I set the timer for 30-45min each time and when the time is up, he has to get off. So it works out to be 60min - 2hr 15min screen time over the day...is that ok? He doesn't watch TV (it is on, but he will build Lego or play with kenetic sand while it's on in the background).Also he doesn't just play games on the iPad, usually he uses it like a TV (he will watch clips on youtube, like minecraft or magic tricks...random stuff that I monitor). So I guess it is the modern day version of the TV!!
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 26-11-2016 at 14:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS aged 7 only gets the iPad on a Saturday. He knows not to ask for it on other days now. Occasionally if we have a long drive to an appointment I'll let him bring it in the car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No rules here.