+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Conception & Alcohol?

Anyone have any thoughts on teetotaling vs. moderate alcohol consumption during conception and possible early pregnancy? I've been continuing to have 3-5 standard drinks a week as part of my "normal" life (e.g. 1-2 beers or wines before dinner a few times a week, at max). But then I thought, gawd, is it okay to drink during the two week wait before testing for the potential BFP?

I confess, part of me really doesn't want to have to be so stringent as to cut out alcohol completely before I'm even officially pregnant! (though of course I will do so 100% if/when I get a BFP).

Thoughts team?

Ta, R

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's a couple of weeks (I think) after implantation that the baby is actually connected to the mother and starts getting nutrients. At first it is growing in the yolk sac.

I personally had 0 alcohol during conception and continued this way, but there are plenty who don't realize they're pregnant in those early stages and have still had alcohol with no adverse effects. People have varying opinions - you do what you are comfortable with.

My only recommendation is get an understanding of when the baby starts receiving all that the mother ingests. The early months are pivotal for brain growth etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    For the first few months we TTC'd our little girl I didnt drink at all, however a few months of ttc, decided a few quiet ones here and there were ok... not really on a regular basis though. However the month we actually fell pregnant we were travelling interstate for a wedding and not really planning/trying that month lol. Drank a few champers at the wedding, drank a bit on the travel time home - about a week or so lol (wines mainly) and came home to find I was pregnant. I did have a little panic, but dr assured me that at that early stage wasnt an issue and of course I didnt drink again once we had that positive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I refused to put my life on hold while TTC with stuff like that, which was lucky, since it took 2.5 years. Even during IVF, I still had a few wines about 3 times a week up until transfer day. After embryo transfer I didn't drink.

Even while we were trying naturally, I didn't stop having a drink in the TWW each time, I decided just to stop drinking if I got a BFP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't stop drinking while TTC. As far as I'm concerned there's no point unless I got two pink lines.
    I was actually ridiculously drunk at my engagement party the day before I found out I was pregnant. Bub is fine and due any day now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for posting the this. I've been having a glass or two of white wine the last few nights in the lead up to starting stims tomorrow.
    I've been guilting myself out of having a glass the night before stims, which is tonight. I just hate what ivf does to your mental health with the guilt trips I put my mind through.
    I'm having a glass of wine now

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinachris For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (23-11-2016)