+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Question about a high fat, no/low sugar, high protein, lo card diet

I have been doing some research and I am pretty certain I have a diet that works for me but I can't live without my morning coffee and hate bitter coffee so am I better off using cream instead of milk to get the sweetness in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    If you're doing proper high fat low carb then yes, cream is higher in fat and lower in sugar than milk.

A great sugar substitute is xylitol. It doesn't have the unpleasant after taste that some sweeteners have and it can be used with LCHF.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pure cream is yum in coffee. I eat lchf and I make French press coffee with cream.

I use natvia as my sweetener. I am one of the unlucky ones who have highly unpleasant gastrointestinal reactions to xylitol. Also, its fatally toxic to dogs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loodle View Post
    I have been doing some research and I am pretty certain I have a diet that works for me but I can't live without my morning coffee and hate bitter coffee so am I better off using cream instead of milk to get the sweetness in?
    If you are going to follow a low carb diet, you need to work out how many carbs you are going to aim to consume a day. Cream has slightly less carbs than milk. You should be able to fit some cream or some milk into your carb allowance for the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    100mls
    Cream 2.5g of carbs
    Full fat milk 5grams of carbs

(This may vary slightly between brands)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! From the research I have done coffee with cream and a bit of cinnamon is the best way to go so I will head to the shops today and try it out tomorrow morning

Thanks
    Reviews
    I follow LCHF and use cream with my coffee. I love it, I can no longer stand the taste of coffee with milk.
    Also, Google bullet proof coffee (if you haven't already come across it). If you find the cream is adding too many carbs, that is another option.
    I love this way of eating, it has changed my life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maddysmama View Post
    I follow LCHF and use cream with my coffee. I love it, I can no longer stand the taste of coffee with milk.
    Also, Google bullet proof coffee (if you haven't already come across it). If you find the cream is adding too many carbs, that is another option.
    I love this way of eating, it has changed my life.
    How many grams of carbs do you try to eat in a day?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TeBe View Post
    How many grams of carbs do you try to eat in a day?
    When I first started I aimed to stay under 20g. It worked well to get rid of my massive sugar addiction and kick start weight loss. I found for me, that was too restrictive long term.

Now I have just let my body settle in to what feels right. I no longer count, but at a guess maybe up to the 50g mark? My weakness is dairy, particularly yoghurt, and berries, so it's probably much higher than I think!

I keep it pretty simple. Lots of fat, moderate protein and leafy greens/ veggies. I never feel hungry and have heaps of energy, so figure I've got the balance fairly right. I know if I cut down on the dairy, my weight loss would be more rapid though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maddysmama View Post
    When I first started I aimed to stay under 20g. It worked well to get rid of my massive sugar addiction and kick start weight loss. I found for me, that was too restrictive long term.

Now I have just let my body settle in to what feels right. I no longer count, but at a guess maybe up to the 50g mark? My weakness is dairy, particularly yoghurt, and berries, so it's probably much higher than I think!

I keep it pretty simple. Lots of fat, moderate protein and leafy greens/ veggies. I never feel hungry and have heaps of energy, so figure I've got the balance fairly right. I know if I cut down on the dairy, my weight loss would be more rapid though.
    Can I ask what your daily menu looks like?