+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Talk to me about Zofran...

Hi All.

Pregnant with #3 baby - almost 7 weeks. I'm barely able to function, its been getting progressively worse for about a week. #1 was just a bit of nausea in the mornings and lasted to 12 weeks, #2 was all day nausea lasting to 14 weeks.

This is just a busy time of year! I cant just be a couch potato. I'm needing numerous naps a day and feel 'on the verge of vomiting' all day. It's worse in the mornings usually (although this morning was ok ish actually - weird) and terrible in the late arvos/evenings - when everything is happening around here with the kids and dinner. I can't cook dinners or breakfasts without dry retching. Changing nappies - oh my!!

I have an Ob appointment tomorrow and want to ask him for Zofran. I've found Maxalon not very helpful before and have actually had a bad reaction to it in hospital, don't want to do it again.

A few questions, if I can please:

1. Where did you find was cheaper to buy it?
    2. Was it constipating? (Pregnancy seems to instantly constipate me - sorry for the TMI)
    3. Did it provide relief for the nausea? I hear from others it only helped their vomiting and in that case, it probably wouldn't be helpful for me.

Thanks heaps. Appreciate the replies! I just want some sort of semi-functionality.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry you are feeling so awful. I definitely know the feeling. I've had HG for both of my pregnancies. You poor thing.

Yes Zofran is constipating.

It gave me some relief (but not completely) from the nausea.

Best of luck x

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Talk to me about Zofran...

Zofran is my miracle drug. I'm still on it at 30weeks! Maxalon didn't help me at all

I get it from chemist warehouse in its generic form. I get 10 4mg tablets for $14. When I first started getting them they were $18. Not sure why they dropped.

Yep it constipates me. I eat kiwi fruit and take lactalose so I can still poop 1-2 per week.

When my morning sickness was super bad (non stop vomiting and nausea), it stopped the vomiting but I still had some nausea. Now it's eased off slightly it removes all vomiting and nausea. If I don't take it however, my morning sickness is right back

Hope this helps, and you are feeling better soon x
    Last edited by Thescientist; 21-11-2016 at 21:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the replies @Thescientist & @LJMsMum .

I'm already on daily movocol for the constipation. Last time I was hospitalised a number of times for complete impactions - needing flush outs, which was really not nice!! I'm a bit scared about what zofran might do. But I need to do something - I cannot parent from the couch with a bucket. I'll have to add lactalose I think - had that and movocol last time. Already on a high fibre healthy diet (no gluten, dairy or refined sugars).

Thanks for the tip re Chemist Warehouse. Friends said it was like $50 for 10 and I was happy to pay that. $14 - $18 is even better!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lactalose helped me

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took it with DS for 34 weeks and started taking it with this baby at 7 weeks. Hope this is helpful...

1. Where did you find was cheaper to buy it?
    In Australia I used to buy the generic brand from chemist warehouse (in the USA it was free with my insurance and now in London it is free under the NHS as I have an outpatient prescription).

2. Was it constipating? (Pregnancy seems to instantly constipate me - sorry for the TMI)
    Yes, very much so for me. I need to drink at least 2L of water every day, I eat 6-7 prunes, fruit and veg and basically no bread or pasta (or any other 'starchy' constipating food), I also find a coffee a day helps! If I don't actively manage this I won't go for 5-6 days and it is agony, I keep lactulose in the cupboard in case.

3. Did it provide relief for the nausea? I hear from others it only helped their vomiting and in that case, it probably wouldn't be helpful for me.
    For me it stops the vomitting and helps relieve the nasuea, it doesn't take it away completely but I definitely feel a whole lot better (without zofran I will vomit up to 40 times a day and can't even keep water down, let alone food - it is horrendous).

I hope it eases for you soon or the zofran helps!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry to hear you're feeling so ordinary

I've been taking zofran since about 7 weeks, and I'm now nearly 22 weeks.

For me it *sometimes* takes away the vomiting, but the nausea is ongoing. On bad days I still vomit a fair bit.

I'm not sure about the cheapest place to get it. My DH usually picks up my scripts for me and just goes to the nearest/most convenient pharmacy. For 20 x 8mg wafers we pay about $115 I think.

It definitely makes me constipated, and the constipation makes the nausea worse (I always feel a little better on days I am able to have a bowel movement). If I'm able to stomach it, I eat oats, kiwi fruit, or apples to try to encourage a bowel movement.

I hope this helps x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hey - I had Zofran for #2.

Get the generic version. You can also get the stronger version and take half a wafer.

It helped take away the worst of the nausea for me. I went from not being able to move to being able to get through most of my day. I could barely eat though.

It can constipate - I didn't have too many issues. If you are on a smaller dose it is not so bad.

I had to take it before moving in bed. Dh brought it to me and I lay down for another 15 mins and then slowly got up. Otherwise the nausea was super bad. Also if you have private health you can claim a few $$ back.
    Last edited by twinklify; 21-11-2016 at 20:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all! Thanks for your replies.

Ob gave me the script this morning, I filled it straight away at Chemist Warehouse (10 for $24-something) and took half straight away. I'm not sure if it's a fluke or not but I'm not in bed this afternoon!! Having a much better day! Still nauseous but not bed-bound - which is great timing because hubby works late late on Tuesday nights, so not around for dinner, baths and bed. Still forcing myself to eat -no appetite at all (thinking about food is nauseating) but that's ok, I can work around that.

I forgot to get the lactulose! Doh. Will get DH to pick some up for me. I have been taking movocol and psyillium the past few days and was able to go this morning - thank GOD! I'll make sure I try to stomach some oats each morning.

it continues to be helpful!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know you said you're not hungry, but try to have something in your stomach. Once it's empty, you'll feel worse. I find grazing helps me. Good luck! x