+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 37.5 weeks - hospital want to iduce in 3 days

Hiall,

new to to posting but have been reading for quite some time.

3rd baby, few complications but overall ok pregnancy.

hospital want to induce in 3 days to lower risks of things going wrong. Previous two births were not induced so I'm very hesitant.
    Cureently 2cms and having somewhat regular contractions but not at all painful - just tight. Hospital last night recorded about 10 of them in a 3 hr period on cry, but I promised they weren't the 'real deal' and was allowed home.

now desperate to get things going prior to medical induction....anyone give me some suggestions? All ideas greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What is the actual reason of wanting to induce though? Inducing at 38+2 isn't something that's done at convenience of the hospital.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (21-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Basically it's duI to pregnancy related hypertension which is bordering on PE. Am on medication to control at but baby is showing signs of growth restriction, I've got protein in urineand minor swelling- hence why inducing prior to 40 weeks is being suggested.
    If I had my way I'd let it go to term but I can't risk something bad occurring.
    Hence why I'm keen to do as much as possible myself before medical induction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ok if it's for BP/PET there's no real contraindication for natural methods of inducing that I can think of, except with the weather warming up try to stay out of the heat of the day so you don't exacerbate things like swelling etc.

- Walking, especially curb walking or stairs, is supposed to help. The theory behind curb walking and stairs is it changes the pressure of baby's head on the cervix.

- hot curry. This is because the hot curry will give you diarrhoea which in turn can irritate your cervix to start contractions. This is the same theory behind cod liver oil (not recommended!)

- sex. Some people I work with will tell you it's not worth it if it's not good, hot sex. A good orgasm can stimulate your uterus to kick into gear. There is also something about the protein in sperm helping ripen the cervix or something. Although a mind blowing orgasm may increase your blood pressure so maybe don't try it on if your BP is high before you start...

- people swear by fresh pineapple (or is it pineapple core ) but I reckon you'd have to eat a bucketload of pineapple for it to work and I know my mouth wouldn't cope with lots of pineapple!

There are more, I'm sure others can help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Both pregnancies my acupuncturist has started things going for me. Basically at 38 weeks I say I'm ready for this baby to be out, she uses the special points and labour starts within a few days. Worked both times. Although I'd been having regular treatments throughout both pregnancies.
    DD I think I had acupuncture fri, she was born tues.
    With DS I had acupuncture on wed, he was born mon.
    I know it's not proven scientifically, but at the very least it's a relaxing hour of quiet time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Shel, I've never gone into labour naturally, but have also had quick, easy births after being induced. If you can't get going on your own, please know that many inductions are awesome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter lost her bub at 36 + 4 due to a PE. If they want to induce, do it. I would hate to see someone else lose their bub. If my DD was induced one day earlier things would have turned out a lot differently.
    Please learn from our situation. Inducing early is done for a reason.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cicho For This Useful Post:

kim85  (22-11-2016)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Have you asked what the alternatives are and the risks associated with being induced and not being induced? I would want to know actual numbers, not just "high" or "low". Risks have 2 variables, likelihood/probability and impact. Are you able to have daily monitoring instead of being induced?
    Inductions are usually not like spontaneous births. Ask what the risks of the induction is including the likelihood of needing an epidural and associated risks, the likelihood of assisted delivery and associated risks and the likelihood of an emergency c-sect - not just the risks for your baby but the risks to you (eg increased likelihood of severe tears from having an epidural and assisted delivery). With an induction there is no build up of contractions, it's WHAM all on from the beginning.
    Best of luck with everything!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for feedback - I am back in hospital at 10am today so will be talking further with the drs to discuss plans. I don't seem to be able to move the induction, I just really want what is best for baby but Im honestly scared of the birth process... previous two births Ive had PPH and its hasn't been fun. Not sure why now 3rd time around Im worse then the first... but I guess what will be will be. Tried a session of acupuncture yesterday... hoping it will get things moving but the contractions seemed to have settled down.

Thank you all again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would do what the doctors say. You just want a healthy baby at the end of this. If baby has to be induced to get that healthy ending why wouldn't you do it?