+ Reply to Thread
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

Default What makes your job..?

I was just reading the thread about what we do and how much we get paid and I was beginning to wonder, so please indulge me at your will, a little survey about your job!

Job title:

What makes your job
    -stressful:

- worth it:

- a good career path or not:

- flexible for families or not:

-what would you
    - stop
    - change
    - keep

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Job title: primary teacher (classroom)

What makes your job
    -stressful: deadlines and too much official paper work- but it's hard because the paperwork is helpful

- worth it: the canteen. Nah, joking- the kids, of course, and seeing their growth and thinking "I gave that to them"

- a good career path or not: good for moving up the ranks. Prin positions are available and obtainable if you don't want your whole career in a classroom. Pay in Vic is one of (or the?) worst in Aus.

- flexible for families or not: totally! My boys come to work with me and leave with me. The downside is I am there from 7:30am-5:00 most days, so it's very long for them. And curriculum days are hard to find someone to watch them, but it's so nice not to have that drama of what to do with the kids while I work.

-what would you
    - stop: class sizes over 20 in all primary grades
    - change: reports from twice yearly and very formal, to ongoing all year and informal. Ie we just did this, your child could/n't do it etc. but then hats probably more work
    -keep: school camps!
    - keep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Job title: Would rather not say on here.

What makes your job
    -stressful: office politics. Tight deadlines.

- worth it: I love being challenged and problem solving so am often given stuff noone else wants to do.

- a good career path or not: For most yes. Me no as I had too many years off as a SAHM and have had to start again. I've also spent too many years with a small NFP and am finding it difficult to get a better paying job with a bigger employer who would offer more of a career path. Another complicating factor for me is that I enjoy the work I do at my relatively low level. Next level up for me in my organisation would be a managerial position and I really don't want that.

- flexible for families or not: I work part time so yes there is flexiblity with the right employer. Means my pay is crap and I cannot progress my career.

-what would you
    - stop - working part time
    - change - my pay and employer
    - keep - hands on aspect of my job
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 20-11-2016 at 20:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    I was just reading the thread about what we do and how much we get paid and I was beginning to wonder, so please indulge me at your will, a little survey about your job!

Job title:

What makes your job
    -stressful:

- worth it:

- a good career path or not:

- flexible for families or not:

-what would you
    - stop
    - change
    - keep
    I work with people who are going through a vulnerable time in their lives...so that makes it both stressful and worth it.

It's not really family friendly, and the pay is sh!te, so probably not a great career path. I love it, though.

I would stop night shifts. I don't mind shift work..but nights suck.
    I would change the pay, and the fact that more study is inevitable in order to be able to earn a semi decent wage. The job deserves more pay.

But I get a deep satisfaction from my work. The hours go fast, I genuinely love my job. I can't imagine doing anything else...so I'll keep that part of it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Job title: Admin/reception/client services

What makes your job
    -stressful: it's not particularly!

- worth it: the hours, the social aspect (big organisation, always someone to talk to), feeling appreciated for what you do, helping others, being able to tick things off a list & feel organised!

- a good career path or not: I guess, if you really worked at it, combined with some further study maybe you could go into management or finance.

- flexible for families or not: yes, definitely. I only do school hours & get to walk out the door bang on my finish time. No work to take home.

-what would you
    - stop: I currently have my hours spread over 5 days, I'd like to maybe condense them into 4 so I could get a day off, or even drop one day all together once we don't have to pay daycare fees.

- change: I do wonder, as DD gets older, if ill be happy doing this forever. I only really do it now as it fits in with her schedule. I really need to look into study options!

- keep: the hours and the no stress, all the good bits!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Job title: lawyer

What makes your job
    -stressful: 6 minute unite and billable hours, working week in excess of 70 hours, office politics

- worth it: no, not for me.

- a good career path or not: absolutely if your a man or childless. I've had too much time out and committed the deadly sin of having children so no career for me anymore.

- flexible for families or not: NO. that said if you put in the hard yards BEFORE children you can make it work as a consultant and earn very good money. I was earning $350 and hour plus super as a consultant at one point.

-what would you
    - stop. Being a lawyer. Problem is I've invested too much time and money and I'm too old to start over!
    - change - billable hours.
    - keep the money lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

yadot  (21-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Job title: Real Estate Agent

What makes your job
    -stressful: being responsible for people's biggest asset, dealing with their financial stress, dealing with people's emotions

- worth it: sometimes, getting people lots of money so they can retire or pay off their debts is nice, watching the excitement of people buying the home they love , the thrill and unknown of auctions

- a good career path or not: if you can dedicate most of your life for about 10-15 years to build up a good client base then yes

- flexible for families or not: definitely not! Most agents work 6 days, 80 hour weeks, most clients want to see you after hours and weekends when they are home and because of auction deadlines etc you can't put things off and are pretty much on call all the time , we can only take holidays at Xmas time when the office is closed

-what would you

- stop - the long hours and buyers calling all hours of day/night - if I didn't own the business there is no way I could work part time and earn the money I do, i would have quit the day I found out I was pregnant as you just can't do it with kids ( or at least say kids primary school aged and under)

- change - the way we get paid, do it on exchange rather than settlement, which means we would get paid after 6 weeks and not at 12 weeks or longer!

- keep - the variety of people, houses, the excitement of auctions - it's never boring!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 21-11-2016 at 07:03.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (21-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Job title: enviro scientist (in oil and gas industry)

What makes your job
    -stressful: tight and unrealistic deadlines, not having control over aspects that you're responsible for

- worth it: mainly yes

- a good career path or not: mainly good

- flexible for families or not: I can work part time which is good, but the deadlines and stress are harder to manage working part time. The work is only available in some locations which is hard for me as there is no work near us so I have a horrible non family friendly commute. The best jobs are FIFO too.
    So overall it's ok for families, could be better and could be worse.

-what would you
    - stop: the commute
    - change: somehow manage the tight deadlines better
    - keep: the exciting and varying projects

Thanks
    Reviews

Job title: Dance school owner, dance teacher

What makes your job
    -stressful: the buck stops with me, chasing money , precious parents

- worth it: kids experiencing the joy of dance, many opportunities for sense of accomplishment, most parents are amazing

- a good career path or not: yes if it's your passion, otherwise no way as it's an absolute labour of love.

- flexible for families or not: yes, one of the reasons I moved from classroom teaching to this.

-what would you
    - stop: putting up with unreasonable people
    - change: my personality! I don't have the best personality to be a boss
    - keep: the rest
    Last edited by teenie; 21-11-2016 at 07:37.