+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Do you mean 2 repellant ingredients or 2 repellant brands/types?
    They are ingredients.

Eta: I cannot spell the correct name for DEET but googling finds it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    They are the "active" ingredients...there are many "natural" products available but none have proven to be that effective (except Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus..hard to find in Oz, and not suitable for small children..Under 2 I believe - interesting that the natural oil is less suitable for kids than the others....). If you're not worrying about mosquito disease then you could experiment with the myriad of natural products products available, but usually the protection is short lived...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post

I think they say the higher the DEET the strong/better it is but I find those ones can be very greasy and stink.
    This isn't entirely true. The ideal DEET content is 30-40%...Some products have up to 80% but are no more effective or long lasting and contain a huge amount of chemical - 80% will melt plastics (!!) and just isn't necessary. There has been a massive out of research on DEET etc - mosquitoes kill more people around the world than any other animal! !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (20-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used deet and the bands.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    IMG_1479638582.769365.jpg

I bought these when we went on holiday last year and ds1 only got one bite the whole week while our friend's kids who were using OFF got eaten alive. Because they're a wipe it made it easy to really cover him as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Mosquito repellant

I've been using 'Vanilla Mozzi' on the kids and myself and my goodness it smells divine! That said, I only put it in the kids at dusk if they want to play in the cubby etc. It works, but only for a few hours.

The one we use camping or if we know we'll be outside for a ling while is 'Bushman Heavy Duty' spray and it works a treat, it has 40% Deet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone lots to look in to! I guess it's finding what works for us lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have been affected by flooding (NSW) and as a result we have been inundated with giant mozzies. They end up inside our house and everything. It's horrendous.
    We use the Bushmans 40%Deet. It works really well. I can't remember the last bite I had and I attract them like nothing else.

And just to show you, this is a screenshot from a video I took in my laundry because I accidentally left the door ajar for a couple of hours.
    IMG_1479677615.752188.jpg (Hopefully you can still see it and it doesn't compress too much)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my god @Ahalfdozen!!! That is INSANE!!! I'd of been eaten alive!
    Thank you! My FIL uses bushmans when he goes fishing so I think I'll grab some of that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    Oh my god @Ahalfdozen!!! That is INSANE!!! I'd of been eaten alive!
    Thank you! My FIL uses bushmans when he goes fishing so I think I'll grab some of that
    Make sure it's the 40%. It has a red lid