+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default New Bub and feeding

Not sure if I'm posting in the right spot.
    I have a 3 week old boy who is a huge feeder we only had an issue with latching in our first few days other then that he's been perfect.
    However the last almost week he's draining me dry which I guess is great for my breasts but he's fussing and pulling away in the afternoons and when I normally squirt him in the face there seems to be nothing left.
    Is this normal? I've been told conflicting things about expressing for supply build up and also adding a formula feed which I have done the last 2 nights but would rather stick with just breast even if one feed is expressed till I've got more for him.

Any tips would be great as I only fed my first son for 3 weeks and would really like to get to at least 6 mths this time :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Completely normal. It's frustrating, but babies WILL have fussy periods. Your supply is still establishing and it's important that bub gets unrestricted access to the boob to really get that 'I want more milk' message through. If you give formula instead, your body isn't getting the message to produce more milk and your supply will lessen.

It's also absolutely normal for you to have less milk in the evenings, and for bub to feed constantly and fuss. It's called cluster feeding. Bub will still be getting milk... Particularly fatty milk when your breasts are relatively empty.

You're doing a great job. Keep offering boob whenever and for as long as bub wants it. Provided there are plenty of wet nappies and bub is gaining weight, there's nothing 'wrong'. That doesn't make it easy, but definitely normal. It will pass

Excuse the disjointed writing; it's late and I should be sleeping :P

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (20-11-2016),Excited1  (20-11-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (20-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Remember 1 rule, supply & demand... the more he drinks the more your body will create... so if you replace his feeds with anything other than BM your body won't have the chance to make that extra milk... get comfy & just keep feeding so your body adjusts, it's a very draining & time consuming period but eventually it will pay off you are doing a great job

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AmyEL For This Useful Post:

Excited1  (20-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default New Bub and feeding

Exactly what pp have said. It's totally normal, your baby is building your supply. Your breasts are never empty - but the flow may be slower and Bub will be frustrated by that. Give him unrestricted access to the breast, don't supplement unless medically indicated. As long as there are plenty of wet nappies then you are fine.

It's hard work in the early weeks but you're doing well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awesome thanks ladies :-) just feel bad for him cause normally when he cluster feeds he's not pulling away like he has been so I give a cuddle and burp just incase it's that and swap sides but he still seems to do the same thing on the other side which makes a very long 3- 4 hrs for us
    He's gaining weight so no worries there, he was having issues sleeping during the day (awake 6 - 2pm) but this seems to have slowly worked its self out