+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    This was at Football Park (well last known as AAMI Stadium) in Adelaide. I used to go to the football there a lot and I never understood why at 13 my dad wouldn't let me go to the toilet by myself.

It was only a year or so ago I heard about this story and realised why. But my dad was and is a helicopter parent and he let that one incident dictate the way he patented when we went to the football. But to me it contributed to my lack of self esteem as I always had to be 'helped' with everything or shown 'the right way (AKA His way).

On this...and a bit off topic, but I think it's really important for kids to make their own mistakes and learn their own way. Eg....from 10 my kids have free reign in the kitchen. I give them a recipe and leave them to it. They can ask me questions or for help if they want, but basically I leave them to it. They burn things and forget ingredients...but they learn from that. One of my kids used to get so mad with a friend's mum who would hover over them when they were cooking and 'correct' them...even when it was our recipe. There are so many ways kids can learn and gain independence. Not comfortable with the park due to where you live, no worries...allow them to develop independence and critical thinking skills in safe environments.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (20-11-2016),AdornedWithCats  (20-11-2016),HillDweller  (20-11-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (20-11-2016),Shoopuf  (20-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our street is a no through road, and there's a park directly across the main road it joins onto. A group of neighbour kids from our street walk past our house pretty much every afternoon to go play at the park. They range in age from probably early teens to toddlers, and they all go together (about 10 of them! I'm pretty sure they're from a few different families). There's never an adult with them. I think it's nice that they have that bit of independence and they're able to all go to the park together. All of the neighbours expect to see them, and if you're outside when they're walking past they always say hello. We've only lived here for about two months and we are already familiar with them, so I guess if anything went wrong they could run and knock on the nearest door and the occupant would know them and help.

I think for me, it would depend a lot on the area/neighbourhood and how far away the park was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    I think for me, it would depend a lot on the area/neighbourhood and how far away the park was.
    Agreed. We live in a little town and on top of that our street is a private road so we get no one here we don't know at all. We have a little play/recreation area for our street to use. I have, on a couple of occasions, let my 3 older kids go up to the little park bit (3 houses up from my house) with neighbourhood kids. I don't let my 2yo go but all the kids that go together range between 3-12. Usually I go up as well as it's a good chance to chat to other parents. But our whole street works together and we all know each other so it's very different here.

I used to live in Sydney and wouldn't let my kids go in the backyard without my uninterrupted supervision. Just two very different worlds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post

I used to live in Sydney and wouldn't let my kids go in the backyard without my uninterrupted supervision. Just two very different worlds.
    Really? Where did you used to live?