+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Leaving kids alone in park

Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    That was my thoughts on giving my kids freedom from 10...at 12 they're on their own...no before or after school care. Also, getting themselves to and from school.
    Personally, I wanted my kids to gain independence and skills from 10 so they'd feel more prepared.
    It sucks that we have so much reporting now, though. This is obviously not just what is reported here...but it creates fearmongering and has parents second guessing themselves.
    Exactly. And a lot of what people hear isn't even true. A friend told me one day at the park to watch out for a dodgy old bloke who always stops and chats to the kids. I was there the next time with her and he walked over. She nudged me. Turns out I new him. He was one of my daughters friends grandparents. Sweetest bloke I know. They lived adjacent to the park (hence why he was walking through there so often). I felt so sad that a group of parents had marked him as dodgy when he was nothing of the kind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Exactly. And a lot of what people hear isn't even true. A friend told me one day at the park to watch out for a dodgy old bloke who always stops and chats to the kids. I was there the next time with her and he walked over. She nudged me. Turns out I new him. He was one of my daughters friends grandparents. Sweetest bloke I know. They lived adjacent to the park (hence why he was walking through there so often). I felt so sad that a group of parents had marked him as dodgy when he was nothing of the kind.
    I have had to rethink people's 'intentions' the last few years.

I have always heard so much 'stranger danger' that I was stressing whenever any person would talk to me/DS.

Turns out they are pretty much all lovely older people with grandkids/wanting grandkids and seeing kids makes them happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 5yo regularly goes to the park with my 11yo (very close to home) They also go riding their bikes/scooters around the block and ride to school unsupervised daily. I have zero concerns about it. The traffic is minimal, the suburb is a safe one, we have a set of rules they abide to (checking in regularly, not going into friends houses, walking bikes across certain roads etc)..there are no more pedophiles or murderers in the area than there was when I was a kid and did the same thing... I would rather them be out riding and playing outdoors than cooped up inside watching tellie

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (20-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember walking home from primary school, usually in a pack of 4 & there used to be a 'dodgy car' that would sometimes follow us. We knew stranger danger, the Neighbourhood watch houses plus half the other kids homes along the way. So there were risks back then too. But we knew enough about what to do if something happened.

We were also attacked by teenage kids once & dealt with it well I think. And then our parents found them & threatened them! Ah, the 80's!

Im thinking 10, based on seeing my niece & nephew ages, but I only have younguns so might be different by then.

But I see lots of very young kids at the park in country towns when we holiday. It's different in smaller, more familiar communities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Slightly off topic but are Safety Houses still a thing??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Yes and no. Yes in that they exist (I think) no in that there are so few people who can do them. I ran the program at my kids old school but it was so hard to find houses that fit the criteria no one bothered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty sure they only exist now in WA and NT. I know QLDs ceased operations due to lack of volunteers as they couldn't keep up with the safety checks.

It's pretty sad though as it was a great program.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babymummatobe For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (20-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think letting kids go to the park alone is a judgement call to be made on each individual situation.

I have let my kids go to the park unsupervised (they had to go together, I wouldn't let one child go by themselves) from the day we moved into this house. They were aged between 3 and 10. We back onto the park and all they had to do was walk out of our jungle of a yard and jump a small narrow creek that is mostly just a puddle. I can see them from our yard and hear them from the house. They were completely safe.

They wouldn't have been allowed to do this if we lived in a dodgy area or they had to cross a busy road.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish they were. My 14 year old DD was walking to school earlier this year and had a van drive past her, do u turn, pull over and the driver start talking to her asking her name, offered her a lift to school etc. She ran off as quickly as she could, but was very very spooked. A safety house would have been good in that situation.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (20-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Actually I think it's much safer in many ways for our kids then it was for us.

Mobile phones, technology for solving crimes so people get caught much quicker, treatment and facilities for the mentally ill, being able to track/entice and subsequently arrest those with preferences for children by police using chat sites, the sex offenders register/police checks etc- it's almost impossible to create a new identity these days. There's so many advances in crime fighting and protecting our children.

The high profile cases involving random kidnappings/rape/murder are few and far between these days. That's why those cases are so shocking when they happen.
    I could not agree with you more. There were a couple of horrendous abductions when I was a kid (one being Sian Kingi at the Sunshine Coast - I grew up in Brisbane). Things like this are not new. They date back to the dawn of time I'm sure. The media saturate us with horrible stories until it tips is into a state of belief that it's the norm. It isn't. I read an article recently that the chances of abduction etc are no different to the 80s (when I was at primary school - walking to and from school from age 9). I worry more about my kids being hit by a car.