+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would roam the streets too around age 6-7.. i grew up coastal town and my mum told me goto this girls house after school so I didn't I just sat on the ferry for 3 hours my mum cut my tyres on my bike !

I think age 12 is norm now. Isn't that when your in high school anyway? I think issue is raising self awareness and educating what's right/wrong around you. Not letting kids live in a fear bubble. Otherwise kids aren't going to even want to goto the shops

2. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (19-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I visit the town the kids went missing in regularly as my son lives there ! No way on earth would I leave my under 14 yr old alone in a park in that town. I know first hand what goes on there. There's a lot more to that story too .

But yes growing up in the 70/80s I was allowed to go to the park alone or with a friend. Crazy !

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Leaving kids alone in park

Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    I visit the town the kids went missing in regularly as my son lives there ! No way on earth would I leave my under 14 yr old alone in a park in that town. I know first hand what goes on there. There's a lot more to that story too .

But yes growing up in the 70/80s I was allowed to go to the park alone or with a friend. Crazy !

But why is it so crazy? Kids going to a park (obviously not young kids) with a friend or riding bikes?
    I honestly think today's over protectiveness is crazy.
    I am yet to see evidence there is more weirdos/pedophiles etc today then there was a generation ago. All I see is an increase of anxiety in our kids- and parents.

ETA: I figured there must of been more to the story of those two kids going missing.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 19-11-2016 at 07:38.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (19-11-2016),FearlessLeader  (20-11-2016),HillDweller  (20-11-2016),rusty22  (19-11-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (19-11-2016),YeahYeahYeah  (19-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I won't let my 9yr old go to the park by himself due to having to cross the busy roads. The amount of times we have both almost been hit with most people on their phones is a joke. Even walking home from work at 7am, I am lucky if some cars will stop at the crossing. Kiddo has no chance to go no matter how much I have the trust in him

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Leaving kids alone in park

Actually I think it's much safer in many ways for our kids then it was for us.

Mobile phones, technology for solving crimes so people get caught much quicker, treatment and facilities for the mentally ill, being able to track/entice and subsequently arrest those with preferences for children by police using chat sites, the sex offenders register/police checks etc- it's almost impossible to create a new identity these days. There's so many advances in crime fighting and protecting our children.

The high profile cases involving random kidnappings/rape/murder are few and far between these days. That's why those cases are so shocking when they happen.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (20-11-2016),FearlessLeader  (20-11-2016),HillDweller  (20-11-2016),Sonja  (19-11-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (19-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Actually I think it's much safer in many ways for our kids then it was for us.

Mobile phones, technology for solving crimes so people get caught much quicker, treatment and facilities for the mentally ill, being able to track/entice and subsequently arrest those with preferences for children by police using chat sites, the sex offenders register/police checks etc- it's almost impossible to create a new identity these days. There's so many advances in crime fighting and protecting our children.

The high profile cases involving random kidnappings/rape/murder are few and far between these days. That's why those cases are so shocking when they happen.
    I think there may be more news coverage these days so it may seem worse. Also any missing persons (especially kids) are generally shared on social media etc so it is more visible.

As to the original story - I don't know when I would feel comfortable leaving DS/DD. He is not 4 yet so not any time soon. I would not feel comfortable leaving a 4yo with a 10yo out though.

But I left my 3.5yo DS 'alone' in Coles as he demanded to walk to the other side on his own to get yoghurt. That is probably bad/lazy parenting or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is much more to the story of the missing kids trust me ...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

Full House  (19-11-2016),Sonja  (19-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    There is much more to the story of the missing kids trust me ...
    Sorry meant to quote not thank.

I'm sure you have good reasons why you can't go into it but this is frustrating. As a parent of 4 kids including 2 who will be walking to and from school next year do those reasons apply everywhere or is there something specific to this case?

From 12 kids don't do after school care. They are allowed to be home alone. They are not monitored leaving school. But we don't let them go to a park alone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post

I'm sure you have good reasons why you can't go into it but this is frustrating. As a parent of 4 kids including 2 who will be walking to and from school next year do those reasons apply everywhere or is there something specific to this case?

From 12 kids don't do after school care. They are allowed to be home alone. They are not monitored leaving school. But we don't let them go to a park alone?
    Hi. Yeah I'd rather not say as it's all hearsay but from what I know of the town it's not good .

I guess for me I would base allowing my kids to walk to school ect on their personalities, age, maturity, distance and area. Sadly there have been a number of sightings around this area of a few dodgy ppl who have attempted to lure children into their car etc and recently a young girl ran into an office in town to report being asked for s-x by a man who thankfully was caught.
    So for me I'd never let my kids walk to school without me or go to the park but my kids are now adults and left home

But I understand every parent is different and areas are different.

It's a hard one isn't it to know what to do ..

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (19-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post

That was my thoughts on giving my kids freedom from 10...at 12 they're on their own...no before or after school care. Also, getting themselves to and from school.
    Personally, I wanted my kids to gain independence and skills from 10 so they'd feel more prepared.
    It sucks that we have so much reporting now, though. This is obviously not just what is reported here...but it creates fearmongering and has parents second guessing themselves.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (20-11-2016)