+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Work + study. How much is manageable?

For people who have managed to combine work and uni, I am curious how many hours of work and how many subjects at uni you managed to do (without pushing yourself to breaking point)? I'm at uni full time at the moment, and was hoping to continue with that, as it's 8 years part time, which just seems way to long! There's a few jobs I would like to apply for, but don't know if I'm being realistic or not.

(I'm also a single Mum of two kids.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm working and studying (postgrad masters) and have a 16 month old DD. I work 2.5 days a week and this past semester my DH was away for 14 weeks and I only managed 1 topic of study. Having said that my job as a uni lecturer is not really 2.5 days a week and my DD only goes to childcare 2 days a week so clearly it doesn't add up and that made it very difficult.
    In my job as a lecturer we say to students if they are studying full time then limit paid work to 15-20 hours a week max (and that's without having kids to look after). I guess it depends how old/self sufficient your kids are, how far you are into your studies, how well you are doing etc. if your kids are at school or in full time childcare then full time study and 15 hours work per week is probably achievable. Busy but achievable.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (18-11-2016),chameleon  (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm studying full time (40 units per semester which is 3 classes). I have 3 children (9, 6 & 2), a DH that is a shift worker and I work only 1 day per week. I couldn't work anymore than that without unbalancing my home life or dropping grades. However I've done really well this year with my grades so I guess I could work more if I had to but would have to settle for a pass instead of D's or HD's. So I guess there are a few ways you could juggle things

5. The Following User Says Thank You to L.j For This Useful Post:

chameleon  (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm thanks for the responses. Doesn't seem like I would be able to do too much work. What I am currently doing for work is probably enough in that case (I work at around 1-2 days a week, but it's all over the place, so I was thinking more "set" hours would be easier to schedule everything around... but at least it's flexible...) I might just have to reevaluate next year.