+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Babywearing mummas!!! Tell me about how you wear

I am very intetested in wearing the next bub I have (preferably with a woven and learning how to wrap) and have been doing lots of research, looking up different brands, joining fb groups trying to educate myself.... Its all very overwhelming. Would love to know how you wear your baby (and see pictures to!!!) Please answer as many of the questions as you want and share photos of your baby wearing adventures!

How many wraps/carriers do you own?

What is your "go to" wrap/carrier?

What are the advantages of buying an expensive, high end wrap?

How did you learn to wrap, What type of carries can you do?

Best ways to break in wraps?

What your dream wrap/carrier (if you could have any you wanted!!!) Would love to see pics here so i don't have to image search each one 😂

Advice/tips/wrap recommendations for a mummy looking to wrap for the first time?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to melimum For This Useful Post:

Mad84  (18-11-2016),Mamasupial  (17-11-2016),rosey82  (17-11-2016),Yogis Mumma  (17-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I currently own a fly tai, 2 RS, 1 size 5 woven wrap and 3 size 6 wraps and a size 3 wrap.

High end wraps, you are paying for the brand and design. Sometimes the materials or the fact that it might be handwoven.

I learnt through YouTube!

I mostly use fwcc and short front cross carry.

The new ankalia mako is lovely but I'm destashing.

I recommend a stretchy like chekoh to start with. Then a woven size 6 to get started.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Mad84  (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I have pics but I would have to crop them lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol I've just been watching YouTube tutorials & practising with DS in my short wrap this arvo!
    I got into it through my sister, now my whole family baby wears - last Xmas we all took turns with my niece in a ring sling!
    Mainly I've learned by watching tutorials & practising lots. I've also been to a few local baby wearing meets.
    I have: stretchy wrap, size 3 Didymis Indio Aurora (I think they have changed the name due to some bad publicity though), custom full buckle baby size (made from a Natibaby wrap), gauze woven wrap for summer, Oscha vanilla roses ring sling, Lenny Lamb colours of love full buckle toddler size.
    I used the full buckles a lot with DD (she's 2.5 now).
    I've been using the ring sling with DS (5 weeks) & Kangaroo carry with the shorty. Have been practising half front wrap with slip knot today, surprisingly easy!
    I've broken them in with a couple washes/irons. Cotton, bamboo etc doesn't take a lot of breaking in. Linen & hemp take a bit more.
    The higher end wraps I find are a bit of a cult thing. I have wraps & carriers to use, no way am I spending $$$$ on something that's going to get spewed on, food spilled on, sweated in etc. Spend a bit of money on quality but don't get carried away with "trends".
    My Lenny Lamb carrier and ring sling are my favourites.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Mad84  (18-11-2016),Yogis Mumma  (17-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jumping in to say what a helpful topic this is. I want to baby wear but haven't started researching as I know it'll be overwhelming...half of what's been said above seems like a different language!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    I didn't discover baby wearing until DS was 7 months. We had a little frog ring sling. Little frog wraps and slings are great for beginners too! We've had a ssc, mei tai and toddler Tula that I recently sold for an ankalia Nganana ring sling for belly bub. I'm looking at getting a fly Tai as I loved using my Mei tai and dp used it too

I would recommend to anyone interested in baby wearing to find a local baby wearing group (search on Facebook) they are a wealth of knowledge and often a good place to start learning and trying what suits you.

I am tossing up about learning to wrap for belly bub but will decide that later as I have 2 ring slings already. Cotton and tencel are great for bubs as they are quite soft

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Me&Smooches For This Useful Post:

Mad84  (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use a hug a bub from birth until they get too big, maybe 2-3 months and then I use an ergo. I bought both my hug a bub and ergo second hand and they are perfect. I also had a baby Bjorn for my first child that someone gave me and I used it sometimes but I find the Ergo much better.

I love the hug a bub for newborns, they're all snuggled in when tiny. My first baby was quite small so it was perfect. My second son is 6 months and is really chunky, I think he's close to 10kg and I carry him a lot of the day on my back in the ergo and find it quite good. He loves being in there and will sleep really well in there. Another thing I also love about the ergo that I can wear him on the front when im popping out to the shops and throw keys, small purse and phone in the zip pouch.

I also have a breeze baby sling which I used on the hip for my first baby for quick trips and swimming/going in the ocean.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Mad84  (18-11-2016),Yogis Mumma  (17-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and yes, watch YouTube clips! Especially for fabric type slings and wraps and it's generally easiest to put baby in if you are facing a mirror.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma  (17-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I own quite a lot of carriers (but my stash is tiny compared to many others in the babywearing world!)....I've got:
    Baby k'tan (so good for a newborn!)
    Little Frog size 6 wrap, Fuschia Agate
    Lenny Lamb ring sling, Winter Dream
    Lillebaby All Seasons, Tokidoki Iconic
    Fidella Fly Tai, Blossom Blue
    Ankalia Onbuhimo, Rubix Slate
    Ankalia Up, Quarry Citrine

The lillebaby and the fly tai have been my main go to carriers. Love them both! I just got my Up today so no doubt that will be in regular rotation too, it's stunning planning on selling my wrap and ring sling soon though, I just don't love using either of them. The onbu is 'technically' DH's but since he hasn't actually used it yet I figure it's mine that I let him borrow

I learned to wrap via YouTube. I personally don't really like wrapping that much, I really only do it around the house. My DD is very wriggly and doesn't really stay still enough for a good wrap job, plus a size 6 is very long! I think if I have another baby I'd be tempted to get a size 4 and learn some shorter carries. I feel like it'd be easier with less material to wrangle.

Dream wrap - Ankalia mako siren. Not released yet but here's a pic:
    Attachment 86392

My advice: carriers are not one size fits all so don't be discouraged if you try something and don't love it. There are so many different types of carriers out there that not everything will suit everyone. But it's such a nice way to keep baby close and calm

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

Mad84  (18-11-2016),Yogis Mumma  (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Babywearing mummas!!! Tell me about how you wear

@melimum, isn't it overwhelming at the start! I found going to a few of my local groups meetings when I was pregnant was very useful. Seeing people wrap, practising with the weighted doll, practising with my toddler. I started with my ring sling, carrying my toddler on my hip or my newborn on my front. I then learnt FWCC for my squish, and how to ruck my toddler (and how to superman her onto my back). We also own buckles so my extended family can wear them both.
    I currently own 3 wraps, all Yaro, all different blends, in sizes 4 5 and 6. One ring sling, also Yaro, which is cotton/repreve and I love it and would recommend it in a heartbeat! Also have a toddler Tula, a random brand SSC for the baby and a Soul standard full buckle.
    I buy "budget" brands like Yaro and Soul and I think they're great value. Good quality and I don't think twice about using them wherever. I haven't done much to break in my wraps so far, a wash and iron have made them useable. I have popped the toddler in a hammock but that was more to amuse her!
    I own a single pram and my kids are 2 1/4 and 6 months. So I use my wraps/carriers when we have to go somewhere at normal pace as opposed to toddler pace. Or if we need to quickly pop into a shop and I don't want to get the pram out of the car.
    I don't have any photos handy sorry. My big tip is find a smaller Facebook group for support! The big bwbss is huge. A lot of the online shops that sell wraps have chatter groups that are more manageable and supportive, as do a lot of local bw groups.
    Good luck @melimum, have you bought any wraps yet?

Edited to add some photos!
    IMG_1479417199.198428.jpgIMG_1479417211.379218.jpg IMG_1479417223.511654.jpg
    Last edited by Mad84; 18-11-2016 at 07:13.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mad84 For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (18-11-2016),Yogis Mumma  (18-11-2016)