+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Recommendations for babywearing wrap?

I'm in the market for a wrap or potentially a baby carrier. Ideally I'd like something that can be used for at least a year, and can be used from newborn.

I think I like the idea of a wrap more than a carrier, but I'm open to all suggestions What would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used a ring sling for the itty bitty newborn stage, then after a few weeks/month or two switched over to an Ergo with a newborn insert. I like the Ergo, it feels very solid and safe however ring sling is easier to put on and slip newbie into when they are super small. I know plenty of mamas continue to use ring sling for ages but I could never get the hang of breastfeeding in it, while feeding in the Ergo is super easy. Ergo costs a lot but I've now used mine for 3 babies, they really are solid and a good investment.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

rosey82  (16-11-2016),Shoopuf  (16-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found the wrap was best for the first month or so and then preferred ergo after.

I used a boba wrap - it is a stretchy wrap. I hated the ring sling. There is a babywearing thread on here if you wanted to read through it?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (16-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used a stretchy wrap with DD from about 4-6 weeks of age which was great. I had the ergowrap but I think hugabub is the same style but cheaper.
    I had my ergo carrier with infant insert too when DD was newborn but neither of us liked that it just wasn't as snug and comfy as the wrap carrier. DD is now 16 months and I use the ergo all the time as she prefers it to the Pram now (I have the performance version which is mesh fabric so lightweight and cooler).
    You can often get great deals second hand (I sold my wrap on eBay for half the price I paid and used it only about 10 weeks or so!). I believe there are also babywearing groups where you can go try a bunch of different carriers to see what you like best.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (16-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    I didn't babywear from new with DS but found my ring sling great, I have 2 now for belly bub. Can you see if there is a baby wearing organisation in your state, they hold regular meets were you can try out different carriers and learn techniques. Most often have a sling library were for a fee you can hire a carrier to try out before committing

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Me&Smooches For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (16-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When is baby due? If in summer a stretchy wrap may be too heavy/hot as you have to wrap with 3 layers. Woven wrap or ring sling would be ok.
    I used my stretchy a lot when DD was tiny, but it was winter. Way too hot for it at this time of year.
    I've been using my ring sling a lot for DS (5weeks), but it takes a fair bit of practice to get the hang of them. Once you do though they are fast and easy for tiny babies.
    A carrier like an Ergo or Lillebaby will take you from newborn to toddler - so a good investment of a couple hundred $. I've heard the Ergo newborn insert can get quite hot? Lillebaby doesn't need an insert for newborn. And Ergo might have a new carrier out that doesn't need an insert?
    Maybe join a local babywearing group, they often have sling libraries where you can test out some different carriers before you invest.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (16-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't recommend buying a stretchy wrap second hand as they are often all stretched out & yuck. Unless it's near new.
    Also o think hug a bub went out of business this year?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (16-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you like the idea of a wrap, I'd probably go for a woven wrap rather than a stretchy wrap. Wovens can be used from newborn right through to toddlerhood, whereas stretchies are only good til your baby hits the 6-8kg mark, then they start to get really uncomfortable. You can spend as much as you'd like really on a woven but it's probably best to start with a cheaper one while you figure out if you like it or not! Brands to look at include Little Frog, Daiesu, Yaro, Didymos, Fidella, Lenny Lamb (the first three are generally a little cheaper than the second three I think). My favourite brand is Ankalia, they have a budget line on their website as well as more expensive stuff. You probably want to start with a size 6, that's a pretty typical size for people to start with, but if you're quite petite go a 5, or on the 'fluffier' side go for a 7.

I personally have never really got the hang of wrapping very well (although my wrap is handy when DD wants to go up and my other carriers are all in the car!) but I love my mei tai and buckle carriers. It's really personal preference and you won't know what you like better until you try it!

I'm sure there will be a baby wearing group in your state that organises meets all over. Have a look on Facebook. I'm not sure what's in nsw but the fb group bwbss Aussie babywearing support is a great group to start with and the members in there will be able to direct you appropriately

15. The Following User Says Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (16-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your replies!

I did consider the ergo but it's really expensive and I don't know for sure if I'll like using it (or if baby will like it!) so it's really hard to justify.

It sounds like a woven wrap might be good, so I'll definitely look into that. I also had no idea there were babywearing groups, so I will have a look and see if there are any in my area as well

Thanks again, this has been really helpful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely try to connect with a baby wearing group / you'll be able to try all different kinds before investing. A woven is definitely the. It's versatile and there are so many different carries you can do with a woven.

I always use a stretchy with a newborn and then a combination of woven wraps and an ergo or manducca.

Manducca are a little cheaper than ergo and you don't need an infant insert.

Woven wraps actually get better with age - they soften and are easier to use, fit more snugly. So secondhand is a great idea and if you look after it you can on sell again.