+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Desperate for sleep!

Hi there. Forgive me if similar question has been posted before, this is my first ever post on a forum. I have a 3 week old and a 20 month old and To say I'm struggling with the sleep deprivation aspect of parenting is an understatement! My newborn will not sleep longer than 5mins on his back and hasn't since birth. He didn't sleep at all in the hospital apart from when held. During the day we will let him sleep on his tummy because we can keep an eye on him, on our chests or in our arms. He will also sleep in the car. When we put him on his back he grunts, groans, squirms and pulls his legs up and will do this either until he cries or until next feed. We are too fearful to put him on tummy at night due to SIDS risk. We've tried cosleeper beside the bed, swaddle blankets, Velcro swaddles, arms swaddled, arms unswaddled, rocking to sleep and waiting 20mins to put down, positioners, white noise machine, vibrating bassinet, music, side sleeping, gas drops, changing formula, keeping it light and noisy during day and dark and quiet at night. Have spoken to parenting line, ngala, gp, visiting midwives and CHN and they all say not normal but can't offer any additional ideas to the above. My 20 month old who was never a good sleeper also wakes frequently at night with at least one major waking which requires been taken out of her cot because she screams and cries. She will then stay awake for hours even if put in my bed. We all room share and she does this whether the baby is in the room or not. The last few mornings I have fallen asleep with the baby on my chest whilst holding my older daughters hand through the cot bars (her cot is pushed up against my bed). Waking like this terrifies me. Neither kid will settle for their dad, they both cry more. He has already returned to work so he cannot watch the kids during day while I catch up on sleep either. Please help with any advice or suggestions on any of the above issues. Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would try elevating the head part of baby's cot slightly (eg folded cloth nappy underneath mattress) in case baby has reflux made worse by laying flat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry forgot to include that one in my already tried list but thanks for responding. I Have also tried a dummy