+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Labour

Hi Ladies i was wondering everyone experience. This is my first pregnancy. Labour obviously worries me, i am staying really fit and lean but worried that everyone i know had a really long labour for their first. Did any one have a quick labour/ birth for your first? And did staying fit help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have an answer but I'm in the exact same boat as you! Due Jan 12...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Labour

Congratulations on your pregnancy and keeping fit and healthy during it
    Everyone is completely different, what happens for one, doesn't happen for the other. My first was a 3 day induction after being 2 weeks overdue. My bestie was pregnant around the same time and went into labour a week early and only a few hours of active labour.
    Just wanted to edit to add - I really do think staying fit during pregnancy helps, not only pregnancy and birth but the recovery afterwards is easier on the body.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Completely unfit, first time bub, 6hr labour ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was fit in both pregnancies (am fit in general, it's something that matters to me and my mental health suffers if I don't exercise). I was glad for my fitness in my first labour as I had a long second stage (pushing - 2 hours). I was induced so had had 6 hours of intense contractions up until that point. The long second stage was intensely frustrating but I never felt like my stamina was waning. My ob asked a number of times how my energy levels were and I was like, 'they're fine! Just tell me how to push this baby out!!!' Lol. When the midwife came back on duty a few days later she commented that 90% of women with a similar labour would've ended up with forceps/vacuum delivery due to exhaustion. So yes, for me fitness impacted on how DS's birth played out.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

mrsh1984  (15-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats on your baby. First labour for me was 4 hours all natural. I was semi fit , tall & lean. I played B-Ball until I was 4 months then quit but at work Im quite active and on my feet all day. I put on 13 kgs and lost it all within a week of delivery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    First labour 4.5 hours from artificial rupture of membranes til birth. I was 5 days overdue. I gained a load of weight and wouldn't say I kept for during pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree staying active "should" help with labour & recovery. I was relatively fit both times - went to the gym until about 26 weeks, then walking/yoga. First labour was 8 hrs start to finish, 5 hours active labour. Second was 7 hrs start to finish, 3 hrs active labour. It's definitely possible to have a quick first labour!
    Some things can't be helped though: with my first I had an episiotomy & stitches, with my second just a graze & no stitches. Recovery from my second has been much easier/quicker & I don't think my level of fitness had any bearing on that.
    Anything can happen, so keep an open mind, but keeping up your fitness certainly won't be a bad thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, I appreciate the stories to know not every one has a long first labour.
    If you dont mind me asking, I was 55kg when i feel pregnant, i am currently 23 +2 weeks and nearly 63kg i was hoping to keep my total weight gain to under 10-12 kg, however my sister is a deitition and doesn't think I've gained to much as i haven't really gained it any were but my belly and boobs!😁 is this normal and should I be worried? My weight gain was weird gained 4kg in first trimester but nothing till 20 weeks now gaining more again... or should i not worry till i weigh my self after babies born?
    Last question what did you do to stay fit while pregnant?

Thanks
    Reviews
    1st labour 3 days in hospital being induced but once contractions started and waters broke, 6hr natural birth. Goodluck im sure you'll do fine ☺