+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'll probably delete later but we went with George for DS. It suits him perfectly. Spencer was also in the running

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    It matters to me, I'm all about being different and that goes with names too - but only different to the point of being a little or a lot uncommon, not choosing yewnique names with incorrect spelling.

Growing up I always wanted to be like everyone else in so many ways, even to have a popular name, but I now love that my name is uncommon and I'm different, so it's important to me.

But I would rather a common name than a name either my DH or I didn't like.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby name Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post
    I'll probably delete later but we went with George for DS. It suits him perfectly. Spencer was also in the running
    Thanks for sharing with me George is a great name too! Hubby likes Spencer as well
    Last edited by Hopingforfirstbub; 14-11-2016 at 19:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We had our boy 3 weeks ago and he is an Oliver. I have loved the name for years and both my partner and I agreed on it. I also didn't like the fact that Oliver is so popular right now but it's a name we truly love so it didn't matter in the end. And so far I have not come across anyone else that has named their child Oliver this year!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keiko2012 For This Useful Post:

Heyside  (14-11-2016),Hopingforfirstbub  (14-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A few weeks ago there was another thread discussing whether or not to choose common names. I have a Welsh name that's hard to pronounce in Aus...yet in my small Aussie primary school there was a girl with the same name in my class!!!!

Don't worry about whether or not a name is common, as you don't know if it will end up common in your area. Go with your heart...Oliver is a nice strong, timeless name

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

Hopingforfirstbub  (15-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister was in the exact same position with the name Oliver, it was the only name she loved that her and DH could agree on. At the time she didn't know of any Olivers, so decided to go with it. However, now that he is born she says she sees Olivers everywhere and is starting to regret choosing the name. I guess it depends how you think you would feel if you started hearing the name all the time once he is born. If it wouldn't bother you, then go for it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EmmaJane75 For This Useful Post:

Hopingforfirstbub  (16-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love Oliver. I would use it i wouldn't care how popular it was.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Unschooling4 For This Useful Post:

Hopingforfirstbub  (16-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmaJane75 View Post
    My sister was in the exact same position with the name Oliver, it was the only name she loved that her and DH could agree on. At the time she didn't know of any Olivers, so decided to go with it. However, now that he is born she says she sees Olivers everywhere and is starting to regret choosing the name. I guess it depends how you think you would feel if you started hearing the name all the time once he is born. If it wouldn't bother you, then go for it
    Thanks EmmaJane. Is your sister in Aus? I guess that would happen with any top ten name, you'd notice them everywhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's my oldest sons name and when I chose it (5 years ago) it wasn't in the top list and wasn't popular at all.
    When he started daycare there were two others but since starting school there's none. It doesn't bother me though and I don't really find it as common, like I don't know anyone who's child has the name and we haven't met any through friends etc.

I would go with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's like the "New car theory" you don't see them anywhere until you buy one then you see the same model everywhere. It's the same with names, you don't think you hear it around until you decide on it and then you hear it everywhere, probably because it is on your mind.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZeSarah For This Useful Post:

Hopingforfirstbub  (16-11-2016),Yogis Mumma  (16-11-2016)