+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby name Oliver

Hi all, expecting our second bub, a boy, in the new year and we both really like the name Oliver. There are others we each like a lot and the other thinks are ok, but we only agree on Oliver. The only issue is it has been the #1 name for 3 years running, and top 10 for more. I looked at the stats and out of all baby boys born in our state, 1 in 66 are named Oliver in 2015.
    Our first boy's name was 48th or something when we named him, but he still has another with his name in his preschool. Which doesn't bother me, but I think it would be annoying if there were 4-5 in his year or soccer team.
    Do you think it matters? Should we try to agree on another name? What is your experience growing up with a common name?
    On the flip side I figure he's not going to be going through his whole working life with his age group, he'll work with and know people of all ages.
    I'm not sure what to do or if I'm worrying too much about it.
    Advice welcome!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's purely personal preference. I'm not a big fan of comkon names, but i think if i really loved a name, I would use it even if it was common (if that makes). I do recall friends saying in high school they hated having a name shared by several others, but after school I don't think it's still an issue. Best of luck with your decision!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Names are the hardest thing to decide and agree on. If you have both settled on Oliver, don't let having it stop you from naming your son that! My eldest DD name is Aaliyah, not overly popular and yet she has been in a class with a different Aaliyah ever year since starting school. As for Oliver, I haven't known any of my friends to call their DS it or come across it in my daughters 3 classes at school or kindy.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby name Oliver

I love the name Oliver but DH hated it. To be honest I actually never even considered popularity of the name before I chose it but since being on bub hub I have checked and it was 33rd last year.
    So I guess I wasn't very worried if he had to share his name. Fwiw two of the ladies in my parents group chose an unusual name with unusual spelling and ended up in parents group together hahaha
    Edit: I pressed send too quickly!
    Last edited by Tdez; 14-11-2016 at 16:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Baby name Oliver

Honestly OP, it's not what matters to us, but what matters to you and your DH, as what matters to one person will differ to the next. Some people prefer the popularity of names and aren't fussed if they hear a gazillion in the playground, others prefer their children's names to be more unique/less popular and not in the 'top baby names'.

My honest thoughts are to go with a name you both love, I know that can be easier said then done, however my Mum doesn't like my sister's name at all and always regretted letting my Dad have the stronger say. It turns out my sister doesn't like her name either (despite it being a really lovely name imo) and I have to wonder did my Mum's distaste of the name subconsciously rub off on my Sister, I don't know.

Anyway, I say go with your gut on this one, not your head.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Hopingforfirstbub  (14-11-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (14-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oliver maybe popular right now but like you said he probably won't come across many when he is older, something I was told is you need to remember they are adults for longer then they are children so he will be in school for 13 of his 80/90 odd years so if he comes across a few with his name it's nothing in the bigger picture.
    You could always use it as a middle name if your worried about it being to common.
    My uncle prefers to be called by his middle name rather then his first so he could like it better and change it when he's older

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oliver was always on my short list for a boy. DD hasnt come across any but there's 3 in DS's class (of like 10).

All you can do is choose a name you like and hope there's not one. I think it depends on the area

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post
    Oliver was always on my short list for a boy. DD hasnt come across any but there's 3 in DS's class (of like 10).

All you can do is choose a name you like and hope there's not one. I think it depends on the area
    Thank you. Out of curiosity, what name did you go with?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Uniquey View Post
    Honestly OP, it's not what matters to us, but what matters to you and your DH, as what matters to one person will differ to the next. Some people prefer the popularity of names and aren't fussed if they hear a gazillion in the playground, others prefer their children's names to be more unique/less popular and not in the 'top baby names'.

My honest thoughts are to go with a name you both love, I know that can be easier said then done, however my Mum doesn't like my sister's name at all and always regretted letting my Dad have the stronger say. It turns out my sister doesn't like her name either (despite it being a really lovely name imo) and I have to wonder did my Mum's distaste of the name subconsciously rub off on my Sister, I don't know.

Anyway, I say go with your gut on this one, not your head.
    I love that, go with your gut, not with your head. It's such a lovely name, not crazy out there or strange, so I think that rule is a great one for us!! Stop overthinking it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hopingforfirstbub For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (14-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post

Yes I wish I could find stats on our actual area!