+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default how on earth do people do it?!

so dh and I have started talking about ttc for #2. I've started looking into childcare costs for a second with the view to returning to work probably somewhere between the 9-12m mark.

I've just found out my daycare doesn't offer a discount for a second child. so based on my current 3 days of work, 2 kids in daycare at the current rate would be almost $800 (this is before any ccb/ccr). there's basically almost no point going to work when childcare costs so much, I'd be lucky to be left with a small pittance after childcare costs!

so how do people do it? we'd be totally reliant on daycare as we don't have family/free childcare. it's been suggested to me that we move closer to family but I question whether we should have to uproot our lives like this?

I guess the other alternative is to not go back to work til the eldest is in kinder, but I'll be a dinosaur by then and I want to be working, if only part time. being a SAHM long term is not for me.

I'm starting to stress out and am realizing suddenly why so many of our friends only have the one!!
    Last edited by turquoisecoast; 10-11-2016 at 20:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    For me my income justifies working and always will. So I'm lucky.

I know a lot of my friends work for the love of it and not for the money. After childcare costs they'd earn less than $100 a week. But they do it anyway. So many reasons why I guess.

after most of my mothers group had #2 so many did make huge lifestyle changes because of this very problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We decided that I would be a SAHM when DS2 was born for this very reason. I would have been working 20 hours a week with a total 6 hour commute time for around $100pw, after factoring in daycare and commuting costs. That's $5 an hour...less than a 3rd of the hourly minimum wage. So yeah, I understand why so many people don't end up returning to work.

Sorry that I haven't really answered your question - because for me the answer was that it just didn't work. We have just decided to cut back in other areas and we will qualify for some family tax benefits in the new financial year, so that we actually will end up in the same financial position as we would have if I had returned to work.
    Last edited by Frankenmum; 10-11-2016 at 20:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Why not work part time? Sure you'll get paid less, but you DC will be way lower too, and you will probably not go over the DC threshold. A few friends did their sums and worked out with 2 kids it wasn't worth working more than 2 days a week for that reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Would you earn at least $400? You could always get the rebate paid to centre so it's easier to budget.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You'll get a 2nd child ccb rate with centrelink though if your income isn't over the limit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Most people work fulltime etc so there career is still moving..

If I had option I would move closer to family (if they were reliable , could help etc). Yep would be costly you would have change jobs but u can goto work. Grandparents can help less time in childcare one or two days and if sick they can pick up not you if need be. Good luck it's hard

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I looked into staying at home.

We are best off if I go back full time.

Ok if I stayed at home (we wouldn't be saving)

And out of pocket if I went back part time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am on leave for another 5 months with #2.

When I go back I probably won't make much 'extra' over paying for childcare but IMO being at work is worth it. I feel better working part time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Could it be more viable if you could do work from home with your field ? Maybe speak to the boss when you know what your doing or your when your pregnant and even maybe do a trial period say 1 day a week from home now Or even start up our own business from home with the same career as that could be an option. I'm going back next June 4 days a week @26hrs. If I put DS is care for those 4 days I'll have $200 in my pocket but I'm lucky as my folks are having his 2 of the 4 days so will only be out of pocket $150 a week