+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolier View Post
    Depends really, maybe late primary school/high school when they are more independent and can get to and from school and dont need me around as much. I guess when it feels right that i can work more without taking time away from them.

Im nearly 30 so by the time my kids are in high school I'll still have what 30+years that i can still be in the work force before i retire so i guess i can do anything. Keep doing I.T stuff like I'm doing now, or study something completely different.
    Sometimes I feel like that, I will have plenty of time to get back into meaningful work when kids get older... other times I let the naysayers (realists?) get to me. I read things like the hirshman article that got me thinking about this and every article about maternity pay and how important it is so that women can stay in the game because if we drop out we'll never get back in... statistically speaking I'm likely to work again. Last ons stats I read was 50-60% mums with kids under 5/6 work but goes up to 85% ish after about age 11 (this is from memory?) but these stats give no info on what the work might be. How many of those returning to work mums have challenging / stimulating / interesting jobs and how many are working 2 hours a day as school lolly pop ladies?? I'm already 43 so it's easier for me to feel pessimistic and whenever I try and talk to one of my oldest friends she is so disinterested, says I'll never work again or suggests low skill / menial jobs I could apply for. That really hurts!!! When I'm feeling more positive I brush all the doubts aside and believe that as long as we can still afford for me to study I will be able to find a decent job eventually!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Sometimes I feel like that, I will have plenty of time to get back into meaningful work when kids get older... other times I let the naysayers (realists?) get to me. I read things like the hirshman article that got me thinking about this and every article about maternity pay and how important it is so that women can stay in the game because if we drop out we'll never get back in... statistically speaking I'm likely to work again. Last ons stats I read was 50-60% mums with kids under 5/6 work but goes up to 85% ish after about age 11 (this is from memory?) but these stats give no info on what the work might be. How many of those returning to work mums have challenging / stimulating / interesting jobs and how many are working 2 hours a day as school lolly pop ladies?? I'm already 43 so it's easier for me to feel pessimistic and whenever I try and talk to one of my oldest friends she is so disinterested, says I'll never work again or suggests low skill / menial jobs I could apply for. That really hurts!!! When I'm feeling more positive I brush all the doubts aside and believe that as long as we can still afford for me to study I will be able to find a decent job eventually!!
    You've heaps of time I know lots of mums retraining completely in their 40's. Just chip away at study or a plan for getting back to work or into a new career if that's what you want and it will happen. You might find as the kids get older you'll have more chunks of time to devote to it and you'll get back to work when you're ready. So many part time options these days which make for a great balance.

It's easy to lose confidence when you become a mum but you're raising human beings, that's no small task!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (12-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    It's so hard to study with kids. How old is s/he? Why are you so sure you want to leave Childcare?
    She is 8.5 months. It doesn't make sense to me to have my kid in care so I can look after someone else's kid. I know others do it, and I have the utmost awe for them, but no way could I.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have studied/worked casually since my DS was six months old, he is 5 now, trying to build a career. I had severe post natal depression after him and didn't like being at home. I felt isolated, so went back to study earlier than expected.

I now have a Dd who is 5 months old and have a year off. I LOVE it! It is such a different experience. I love being there for both kids, being there when they are sick, cooking, keeping the house sorted, not running around the whole time, and taking the pressure off DH. When I was at work/Uni I never felt I fit in anywhere, I am older than the rest of the Uni crowd with far more responsibilities. And I didn't fit in with the SAH crowd either as I could never make play dates/activities. Now I have a great social life.

I never thought I would be someone who enjoyed being at home so much, but I truly love it.

I want a career and I will return, but I know I will find it really hard going back.