+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Question about ducks!

Hi! Due to an irresponsible family member who wasn't allowed to have a pet duck at a small rental property (unit), we are now the proud owners of a duck!

I've been told it is a 6-7 week old Kahki Campbell duck.

We're lucky in that we have our own home & have a very large yard with a large section that's completely fenced off from dogs.

He had been kept in a pen, however will quickly outgrow this so dh is building a proper big area for him to be in.

We went to one of the local stores & got proper food & bedding for him as well as a wormer i think it was to put in his water.

Can anyone tell me if I can get him another duck to keep him company? He needs another I think but didn't want to get one & then find out they're territorial & fight or anything like that. Is it fine at his age to get another? I've been told places here won't have ducklings in for about another week or so.

Also is there any sprays or anything I need for mites? The only thing I've owned anywhere close to a duck was a budgie! And that was years ago & I'm pretty sure I had some sort of spray for him.

I just want to make sure I'm looking after him right & giving him a good home.

Also does anyone know what age they are likely to fly? At the moment he roams around his section of the yard as he pleases as he can't fly. I'd feel terrible if he got into neighbours yard with dogs.

Any advice would be appreciated! And any other tips welcomed too.

Oh & I've attached a photo of him....I've got no idea if it's a boy or girl but I seem to be calling it a him

IMG_1478656551.072335.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky27 For This Useful Post:

JR03  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Soooooo cute!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Soooooo cute!!!
    Thank-you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    What are you naming him? I vote Sir Waddlesworth aka waddles!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (12-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Cute. Id love to have a duck if we had a larger property. Id name him Mr Quakers

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinkers For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (12-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pestene is good for mites but you don't need to treat him unless he has them.

Get him a friend - but maybe sex him first.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (12-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had two pet male khaki's as pets as kids. They got along with no issues as there was no female to fight over. They make fantastic pets, so handle him lots. We're at our council allowed poultry limit with our chooks but would love ducks again.

You will see when he starts to try flying. Clipping wings is pretty easy as it's just the tips along one wing that you take off.

As PP said, only treat for mites if they get them.

Ours were in the yard all day and locked in their pen during the night. They do way less garden damage than chickens but poop a lot.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (12-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ducks are the best . They are flock animals and really do like having a friend. I would definitely wait to know sex first though. If he's a boy, you can get another boy, they won't fight if there are no girls to fight over (actually, my drakes don't fight anyway and we have 4 girls, but they definitely can depending on personality). If it's a girl, get her another girl as a friend. It's best not to get a male and female pair - you really need a ratio of at least 2 girls to 1 boy to give the girls a break from the male trying to mate them all the time.

When getting a friend for him/her I'd try and get one around the same age so there's not too much size difference between them.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (12-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the info ladies!! I really had no idea but wanted to make sure I'm looking after him the right way

Haha he has been named Stewart. Although if we find out he is actually a she then it'll probably change to Daisy Duck

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rocky27 For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (12-11-2016),Tinkers  (12-11-2016)