+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    If we were to get a domestic cat, are they ok to be indoors all the time? I know some breeds are indoor only (like the burmese), but could a domestic be indoor only?
    I've had 2 cats that I got from the rspca as kittens that I kept exclusively inside their whole life and had no issues. They never even wanted to/tried to go outside. I always had a big scratching post inside and toys and different places to sleep. They always loved sitting in the window looking out and sleeping in the sun on the window sill or on the bed.
    My current 2 cats are from the animal welfare league and are outside during the day inside by 5pm. I think as long as you get them as a kitten and keep them inside from day 1 they adapt fine

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We have a moggie from the RSPCA. He is an indoors cat but I have to say he's not a fan. He does go outside but always with a family member, he is not allowed to roam. Not terribly affectionate, he is definitely his own cat!

The best cat we ever had was a Burmese. He was just a delight, hilarious personality, loved to play, but a great snuggler. He was more like a dog really. Followed me everywhere. We still miss him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    A very long time ago we had a Russian blue.

I'd not hesitate to have one again. He was super cuddly, very mellow and not particularly messy.

25 years later, I still miss him.
    We have one, he's 9yo (human years). He's the best cat - if the kids annoy him he just walks away, has never scratched or lashed out at anyone. He's become a bit more vocal in his old age and seems to think he's a cross between a meerkat and a dog, he's the best cat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    We have 2 domestics and they only indoors . They just had to learn from kitten age that outside is no go
    Oh great to know.
    How about with shedding hair etc?
    I found this little beauty
    https://adoptapet.com.au/animal/anim...nimalid=518894

I really wanted a kitten, but she's quite stunning.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (10-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh great to know.
    How about with shedding hair etc?
    I found this little beauty
    https://adoptapet.com.au/animal/anim...nimalid=518894

I really wanted a kitten, but she's quite stunning.
    If the cat has been an outside cat previously you might struggle trying to contain it to be an inside only cat at that age.
    And the shedding hair is variable. I've had 2 short hair ginger cats that have shed terribly. Obviously avoid a longhair cat. A cat with a short sleek coat should shed less than a shorthair that's not so 'sleek' if you know what I mean? But they will all shed a bit on your stuff - fact of life with inside cats. They'll shed more at certain times of the year so keep up the brushing and invest in a good lint brush!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 2 domestics x something or the other. One sheds heaps (short hair) and the other not so much (short hair too).

As for being indoor/outdoor - mine were always indoor. And are fine with it.

A lot has to do with personality and temperament as well. So of adopting an older cat ask a lot of questions about their temperament.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have a 5mth old burmese girl.

Ive grown up always having a cat so we've had a few in my lifetime but this one we have now is def the best behaved.

She is smoochy, sleeps a lot and doesnt leave fur anywhere.lol.

We have 3 kids. 9,6&3. They all adore her. She gets carted around the house, snuggled in beds and even enjoys a ride in the dolls pram.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-biscotti View Post
    We have a moggie from the RSPCA. He is an indoors cat but I have to say he's not a fan. He does go outside but always with a family member, he is not allowed to roam. Not terribly affectionate, he is definitely his own cat!

The best cat we ever had was a Burmese. He was just a delight, hilarious personality, loved to play, but a great snuggler. He was more like a dog really. Followed me everywhere. We still miss him.
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    We have a 5mth old burmese girl.

Ive grown up always having a cat so we've had a few in my lifetime but this one we have now is def the best behaved.

She is smoochy, sleeps a lot and doesnt leave fur anywhere.lol.

We have 3 kids. 9,6&3. They all adore her. She gets carted around the house, snuggled in beds and even enjoys a ride in the dolls pram.
    Was the Burmese happy on their own? Most of the research I've done suggests they are happier and less lonely with another cat. I work 3 days a week, so it would be on its own 7-8hrs each time.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Was the Burmese happy on their own? Most of the research I've done suggests they are happier and less lonely with another cat. I work 3 days a week, so it would be on its own 7-8hrs each time.
    Very happy on his own. I worked part time then so he had three days a week at home alone and he was fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    She is a very happy kitty and most definently wont be getting a friend anytime soon.

If we've been out all day she is def more smoochy and hangs around more than if we're home but she doesnt seem lonely at all