+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Your poor daughter, what a horrible thing to have gone through! Absolutely disgusting how the school has handled it (besides the teacher of course), I wouldn't accept. Hope the principal is more understanding of the situation. Agree with harvs, I would be emailing the school after your appointment with the principal and CC the education department. Best of luck with it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

bpac  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Child threatened to kill my daughter

That's crazy! It's illegal to carry a knife and to have one at a school??? Did they say what happened to the knife? Did they take it off him and call/contact the appropriate authorities? I'd call the police - or maybe child services - just to ask what the protocol is so when you meet with the principal you know if the school has done the right thing - surely they have to report this to someone?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

bpac  (09-11-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I have just written to the Education department and cc'd the school into it and have now been advised the principal will be available for me to speak to after school!

I just feel like i am being fobbed off and that they dont think it is as serious as it actually is.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In my experience with issues with my girls at school, they usually try and fob it off as not being serious so they don't need to file the necessary paperwork and notify the correct people of the incident. (Not saying this is all schools, just certain ones). Definitely stand your ground and don't back down! By having the child still at school, I would think it definitely hasn't been handled correctly.
    Not the same situation but my DD was sexually assaulted at her old school last year, I'm still kicking myself now that I didn't do more and make an even bigger fuss.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

bpac  (09-11-2016),Meld85  (10-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be writing a very strongly worded email to the school with the department CC'd on all emails, and requesting everything in writing, as well as the meeting. Her response is completely inadequate and inappropriate.

I'd also lodge a complaint with the department. I don't think you'd be overreacting to contact the police, especially given the poor response from the VP.

I hope your daughter is ok. Sending hugs.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

bpac  (09-11-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    I totally agree that he might not understand how serious his words could be and hopefully it's an empty threat, but I'd also be worried that he maybe also doesn't understand how serious his actions could be if he did in fact hurt OP's DD. If he had been exposed to some form of violence (video game, movie etc??) he may not fully understand that he could really hurt someone if he used the knife. Hopefully it is just an empty threat that he doesn't understand the seriousness of.
    This is exactly what I was clumsily trying to say :-)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (09-11-2016),bpac  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Keep a record of all your contact with the school.

I'm not sure of the laws in NT, but in QLD it is illegal to threaten to harm someone, and if this child was over 10, they could be formally charged. Please also know that any form of threat to physically harm someone should be reported to the police. This will go on this child's record, and god forbid in the future this happens again, there will be past records.

As for the schools response, completely unacceptable. The school has a duty of care to ensure the safety of all students and they have failed this. I would be asking for a copy of their anti-bullying policy and be questioning why they have failed their duty of care. This is a very serious matter, and could land them in very hot water. Schools have been sued for things like this in the past, especially things like this that could cause long term issues down the track. ie; fear of going to school, depression etc etc.

The fact you were not contacted immediately makes me furious. Not okay. Kick your feet and make a scene. I would be.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babymummatobe For This Useful Post:

bpac  (09-11-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (09-11-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    Ok, so I asked DD this morning if anything happened with a little boy yesterday. She burst into tears and told me he showed her be knife and said I am going to kill you with it.

I asked her why she didn't tell me and I was right, she thought she would be in trouble.

I made it crystal clear she wasn't, she did the right thing and I told her I was really proud of her.

We got to school and straight away she points out the little boy.

I spoke to the teacher and DD was given the "treat" to help the lunch lady which she loves.

The principal was not in, of course so I spoke to the vice principal.

She played it down!!! She said that DD daw the knife but nothing else was said.

I said I was very upset I was not contacted and she said yeah but people get busy.

She wasn't even aware the boy was in class today!!

I am going back at 11am to speak to the principal. So far not happy.
    This is totally not good enough. People get busy? **** off! This should have been reported immediately and dealt with. Hang in there x

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (09-11-2016),bpac  (09-11-2016),KitiK  (10-11-2016),LaDiDah  (09-11-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (09-11-2016),Tiny Dancer  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

Default Child threatened to kill my daughter

This is what I sent. I know I could have worded it better but it is the best I could do ATM.

RE: DD

Good Morning,

I am writing to you about an incident that occurred in my Daughters Year 1 class yesterday the 8/11/2016.

I was only made aware of this incident last night at approx. 8pm when DD's teacher called me about it. When I told her I was not aware of any incident, she told me what had happened.

A boy in DD's class brought a knife to school and had it in his bag. He showed this knife to my daughter and told her he was going to kill her. DD went straight to her teacher and told her what had happened. The teacher sent the children out to recess and searched the boys bag. She found the knife. The boy was removed from the class room and an investigation took place.

I am sure you can imagine my anger, my frustration and also my enormous concern about this.

As I am sure it can also be understood the fact that I was not contacted immediately is (to my mind) borderline negligent.

I asked my Daughter about it this morning. She burst into tears and said she did not tell me because she did not want to be in trouble.

When I walked my daughter into school to speak to The principal, one of the 1st children my daughter sees is this little boy. I was beyond shocked at this.

The principal was not available so I spoke to the Vice Principal. She agreed I should have been contacted, apologised. When I voiced my concern about my Daughters safety, SHE WAS NOT AWARE THE BOY WAS BACK AT SCHOOL. After bringing a knife into the class room, and threatening my child.

I feel she also downplayed what happened. She said that DD saw the knife. That nothing else happened. Her Teacher and DD told me the exact same story. I believe this.

I believe the following things need to be determined ASAP.

1. Why was I not contacted
    2. Is there an incident report and can I please have a copy
    3. Is there a guarantee that my Daughter and the child will never be alone together?
    4. How did the situation Occur?
    5. How can the school protect my Daughter in the future?
    6. Does a police report need to be made?
    7. Why was the Child allowed back into the same class as my Daughter the Day after this occurred?
    8. What is the policy for Weapons brought to a school?

I was assured that the boy will be removed from DD's class for today, but I am sure you can imagine my concern, almost to the point where I was not going to leave her at school today.

I am extremely grateful The teacher brought this to my attention as I believe otherwise, I would not have known and my Daughter would currently be sitting I a classroom with the child who threatened to kill her yesterday. I want to make sure the The teacher is not penalised in any way as I believe she is the only person at that school who has dealt with this situation in the serious nature it should have been dealt with.

I would appreciate a prompt and satisfactory response to this.

18. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (09-11-2016),Chippa  (10-11-2016),DT75  (10-11-2016),Elijahs Mum  (09-11-2016),Foxy  (09-11-2016),harvs  (09-11-2016),JustJaq  (09-11-2016),LaDiDah  (09-11-2016),Tiny Dancer  (09-11-2016),witherwings  (09-11-2016),Yogis Mumma  (09-11-2016)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Your letter is perfect. I hope you do get a satisfactory result from all of this. I am just curious, what size, / sort of knife was it. ?? A very serious situation for everyone involved, and I think the Vice principle is way too casual about it all. hugs, marie.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

bpac  (09-11-2016)