+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I am so sorry this happened, OP. I have little experience with this, but my two thoughts (take or leave them) are -
    - I would be personally making a police report
    - I have worked in a school where a child was putting classmates at risk & making threats, & his family was told that he was suspended from school, & that he was allowed to return to school only after a psychologist (who was fully aware of the incidents, has been contacted by the school, etc) personally signed off that he was not a danger to other classmates or staff. Of course a psychologist will not do this lightly, as it's then their neck on the line if the child DOES do something violent.
    - I would also be asking how they will protect your child, particularly at playtimes, etc.
    - I would also contact the state education department & report the incident, & inquire as to state policy for weapons and threats of violence in schools.
    Thank you for your reply.

Do I have a right to make a police resort or is that over the top? ( if I have a right I want to)

Can I ask for a psychologist consult and if so how can I know it's done if everything is confidential?

I am trying to find contact info for the NT educational dept

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Child threatened to kill my daughter

@bpac try this contact

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1478606263.994231.jpg

Also this link for making a complaint about your child's school:

https://nt.gov.au/learning/primary-a...ut-your-school

Yes you absolutely have the right to make a police report.

I'm not sure what you mean about the consult. Do you mean demand that the boy get one? I don't think so. Your daughter? Yes I'd be pushing for one.

This should have been lodged by your school as a critical incident and police called. They would also be mandated to notify DOCS about the boy. So things may be happening behind the scenes that you don't know about and will take time to unfold.
    Last edited by harvs; 08-11-2016 at 22:00.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

bpac  (08-11-2016),KitiK  (10-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    @bpac try this contact

Attachment 86139

Also this link for making a complaint about your child's school:

https://nt.gov.au/learning/primary-a...ut-your-school
    Thanks @harvs , will I make it worse for DD if I follow this avenue? Do you think she will be negatively affected by the school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Absolutely not. Just keep your communication civil at all times, and like I said before, but I can't stress enough, focus on your daughter and the breakdown in communication that occurred.

Also I would keep as much correspondence as possible in writing. You could even write your questions down tonight and leave them with the principal and ask for a written response.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

bpac  (08-11-2016),cheeeeesecake  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Thank you so much for all the advice. Will definitely be civil - I hate confrontation but I think I have to stand up for this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Also, just an avenue you might want to explore - was this a case of random wrong place at the wrong time for your daughter or the culmination of some bullying/harrassment?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

bpac  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Also, just an avenue you might want to explore - was this a case of random wrong place at the wrong time for your daughter or the culmination of some bullying/harrassment?
    Good question, he actually took her to the bag with the knife so I would think bullying

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default Child threatened to kill my daughter

Quote Originally Posted by bpac View Post
    Good question, he actually took her to the bag with the knife so I would think bullying
    Not necessarily, though. Still it's worth finding this out and seeing how they have been approaching it if there has been harassment and you didn't know about it. My gut tells me it was just a random thing. I hope so anyway, or else you should have been told something was going on.

Also, (sorry I've been thinking about this overnight!), I'd be very careful about making any allegations that your daughter would be forced to verify. I agree with you that keeping her as removed as possible from everything is a great idea.

Seeing as she went to sleep relatively easily last night and didn't tell you, she probably isn't too traumatised and also felt safe and secure after the teacher's response to her. She deserves praise for telling an adult immediately and for trusting her intuition.

'Killing someone' might not be as threatening to her as it is to us as adults - so she may potentially be fine. I'm not diminishing the situation at all, but if she is fine that's a blessing.

I would also suggest if you are still intending to make a police report that you tell her teacher out of courtesy, as she dealt with the incident and was the one who informed you.

Good luck this morning. Deep breath and big hugs to you.

ETA just gently adding that this is also a little boy we are talking about, not an older student - it's possible he has grown up in a traumatic environment and also possible that he didn't understand the seriousness of his words. I could be wrong there though x
    Last edited by harvs; 09-11-2016 at 06:45.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

bpac  (09-11-2016),cheeeeesecake  (09-11-2016),crabby  (12-11-2016),JustJaq  (09-11-2016),LaDiDah  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not necessarily, though. Still it's worth finding this out and seeing how they have been approaching it if there has been harassment and you didn't know about it. My gut tells me it was just a random thing. I hope so anyway, or else you should have been told something was going on.

Also, (sorry I've been thinking about this overnight!), I'd be very careful about making any allegations that your daughter would be forced to verify. I agree with you that keeping her as removed as possible from everything is a great idea.

Seeing as she went to sleep relatively easily last night and didn't tell you, she probably isn't too traumatised and also felt safe and secure after the teacher's response to her. She deserves praise for telling an adult immediately and for trusting her intuition.

'Killing someone' might not be as threatening to her as it is to us as adults - so she may potentially be fine. I'm not diminishing the situation at all, but if she is fine that's a blessing.

I would also suggest if you are still intending to make a police report that you tell her teacher out of courtesy, as she dealt with the incident and was the one who informed you.

Good luck this morning. Deep breath and big hugs to you.

ETA just gently adding that this is also a little boy we are talking about, not an older student - it's possible he has grown up in a traumatic environment and also possible that he didn't understand the seriousness of his words. I could be wrong there though x
    I totally agree that he might not understand how serious his words could be and hopefully it's an empty threat, but I'd also be worried that he maybe also doesn't understand how serious his actions could be if he did in fact hurt OP's DD. If he had been exposed to some form of violence (video game, movie etc??) he may not fully understand that he could really hurt someone if he used the knife. Hopefully it is just an empty threat that he doesn't understand the seriousness of. What a tough situation OP. I would definitely be making official reports whether this be with the police or the education department so that you can be reassured this is being followed through in detail, for both your DD and also this boy in case as PP mentioned he has been exposed to some trauma in his home life.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

bpac  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Ok, so I asked DD this morning if anything happened with a little boy yesterday. She burst into tears and told me he showed her be knife and said I am going to kill you with it.

I asked her why she didn't tell me and I was right, she thought she would be in trouble.

I made it crystal clear she wasn't, she did the right thing and I told her I was really proud of her.

We got to school and straight away she points out the little boy.

I spoke to the teacher and DD was given the "treat" to help the lunch lady which she loves.

The principal was not in, of course so I spoke to the vice principal.

She played it down!!! She said that DD daw the knife but nothing else was said.

I said I was very upset I was not contacted and she said yeah but people get busy.

She wasn't even aware the boy was in class today!!

I am going back at 11am to speak to the principal. So far not happy.