+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default RE Agent/Landlord Question - Rent in Advance?

Hoping some of the lovely RE Agents or Landlords on the hub might be able to offer me some advice.

DH & I are relocating soon for DH's new job and we're going to need to rent.

The things we have against us from an REA/Landlord perspective:

* we haven't rented in about 5 years. That was only for 1 year. Before that we house sat for a friend for a year. So no real rental references.

* we have 2 large dogs

* DH's new job doesn't start until January, he has a signed employment contract, but won't actually have an income until Jan. We want to move before then as it's 2 hours away from where we are now.

* Rent in the area we're moving to will be approx 50% of DH's salary.

* I don't have an income and won't qualify for any govt assistance until next financial year as we earned too much last year/this year.

Sooooo....yeah. We're not exactly a landlord's dream applicant at this point. I was going to do up a letter explaining our relocation and that we've owned & renovated or own houses over the last 5 years. Plus attach a reference for the dogs from our previous neighbours, and ask our sales agent to provide a reference for us too.

Question is - DH has suggested we offer to pay 6 months rent up front. We have the money available to do this.

Should we do this?

Would we need to do this to be considered by a landlord, due to all of the factors working against us??

Would an agent/Landlord even be able to accept this (are there any regulations preventing it, etc)??

Any help or advice you could offer would be very much appreciated. I'm getting pretty stressed about it all...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As a landlord I'd accept you on those conditions but that money to be kept with the agent or a neutral 3rd party.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If the dogs were outside dogs and you were willing to pay rent upfront, and given that your DH has a signed employment contract, I'd definitely consider you as a tenant. I don't think you'd need to offer 6 months upfront, 3 would probably do it as it would cover you up until your DH's income kicks in.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Can you afford the rent ( considering it's half your only income?) can you show significant savings ( bank statements are fine)
    If yes, then with dog references and a letter from the last agent that sold your house we would consider your application but only for a 6 month lease to start ( as I'm sure your DH may have a trial period?) - we get many people who have just sold and never rented approved as long as they can prove their income and employment, I wouldn't offer 6 months in advance but I would offer monthly in advance or just ask the agent what the owner would prefer

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Deleted for privacy
    Last edited by Frankenmum; 09-11-2016 at 07:06.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You could the REA who sells your house as a referee, just to say the house you owned was in good condition, not trashed etc. We had to do that years ago because we moved interstate and had never rented.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (08-11-2016)