+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Emotional 7yr old.......

Hi,
    So this is probably going to be a lengthy post, so please refill you glass and get comfy.

I have a (just turned) 7 year old daughter. she is the oldest child and has a 3 year old brother.

We are having lots of issues with her and her moods/tantrums/tears/behaviour/lack of ability to just play and her high dependancy on the TV/computer.

She bursts into tears at the drop of a hat for all and everything that goes wrong. (she lost a ladybug yesterday and burst in to tears like she had broken her arm). Her emotions seem to be set a cry for everything like there is no tomorrow and it is starting to concern me. Tears seem to be the first emotion she turns to for everything bad.

She struggles to play, and often replies with "i don't know how to play" when she is told to go and play. We (hubby and I) often start out the play experience with her then say we need to do other jobs and leave her. But she looses interest as soon as we walk away.

Her first response when her brother does something wrong is to yell at the top of her voice and is always complaining about what he does or does not do.

We limit both of their TV/computer time and are always having to encourage them to get outside and play. We spend a lot of time with each of them, interacting with them thru game play or reading/cooking/sewing etc. Time is also spent one on one with them.

I need help in trying to understand why she is in tears all the time, why she struggles to play and is alway ( I MEAN ALWAYS) bored.

Is this hormones or prepuberty? Is this normal?
    We have sat down with her often to ask what the problem is and she can never tell me or her Dad what the issue is.

Any ideas what could be the issue?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No advice, sorry but just thought I'd bump it up for you. Maybe some others with children your age or teachers on the hub could have some good advice for you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

lisaandshaun  (09-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Emotional 7yr old.......

My almost 6yo is the same with regard to constantly bursting into tears. It drives me absolutely nuts although I try my best to be patient.

She has just started seeing an OT. I was amazing at the range of services they deal with as I thought it was just fine and gross motor skills but they're also helping her with emotional regulation and social skills. Maybe this is something to consider - Medicare partially fund 5 sessions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is she on the spectrum at all?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like my 7 year old.

My thoughts are tiredness (end of the year) and maybe some hormones.

My advice...alcohol hahaha. Nah, just be there for her when she needs it. Kids need a safe place to be themselves...warts and all. Just pride yourself on the fact that she feels safe enough at home to be ALL of herself.

Im hoping its a phase cos its exhausting.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to loislane2010 For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (10-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the responses.
    No she isn't on the spectrum at all and i don't think it is due to being tired. It happens first thing in the morning after a solid 12 hrs sleep.
    I try to support her so much but it is very draining when there are tears constantly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you taken her to see a psychologist? They are trained to deal with situations like this. It may be she has anxiety or something?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Emotional 7yr old.......

My apologies if this comes across as rude as it's not my intention or if I have you mistaken for another poster.

If I remember correctly you have had issues with your husband. And I recall a thread where you were asking for help with your ds being difficult behaviour wise as well?

How is her home environment? Is it stable? Could she be picking up on any tension and it's causing her to an anxious and emotional?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

lisaandshaun  (10-11-2016),TheGooch  (10-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I teach this age group and tbh I have always got one or two mothers who describe their daughters to be highly emotional and almost teenager like in their emotional mood swings. I think it's pre puberty a lot of girls are developing in year 3 and 4. Just keep the communication open and honest with her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Her home life is stable and the issues between my husband and myself have been fixed. She has not been exposed to any of the issues we had. The issues i had with my son were sleeping and hitting/rough which i feel aren't related.