+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Placenta previous experiences

Hi
    I am 24 weeks with major placenta previous. I had one bleed a month ago but nothing since. I am on light duties now.

I was told I won't make it to 40 weeks and I'm scared I'm just a walking time bomb. I just want other people's experiences with this.. what happened with you and when did baby come?

Thank you!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Placenta prévia is graded with 4 being the worst. Mine was a grade 3. I had 4 bleeds and delivered at 36 plus 4 days. I had steroids for bub incase of preterm labour. I was monitored really well and never felt in danger. Often the placenta moves a bit more out of the way so you might find you don't bleed again till after 30 weeks. Feel free to ask any more questions
    Ps: bub was completely fine and didn't need special care etc. It helps to remember that you are losing maternal blood and it doesn't affect the baby

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

kim85  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bel2466 View Post
    Placenta prévia is graded with 4 being the worst. Mine was a grade 3. I had 4 bleeds and delivered at 36 plus 4 days. I had steroids for bub incase of preterm labour. I was monitored really well and never felt in danger. Often the placenta moves a bit more out of the way so you might find you don't bleed again till after 30 weeks. Feel free to ask any more questions
    Ps: bub was completely fine and didn't need special care etc. It helps to remember that you are losing maternal blood and it doesn't affect the baby
    This is obviously your experience, but it's a bit naive to say that just because it's maternal blood, it won't affect the baby. For all those babies born at term/close to term with no ill effects, there are many babies born prematurely as a result of placenta praevia who spend weeks/months in NICU.

OP I'm assuming by saying you have major placenta praevia, that you have a grade 4. This means that the placenta is entirely covering the cervix. Yes it may move, but chances are it won't and regardless of any movement you will still have placenta praevia. Any bleeding has the potential to be pregnancy ending as once the a major bleed starts you can't just stop it. A massive maternal haemorrhage can indeed affect the baby because if you lose too much blood volume, then that in turn can put the baby in a critical condition. Plus if you have a massive bleed early on then there is always a risk of pre term delivery at any gestation.

I'm certainly not trying to scare you and I assume your care provider has already spoken to you about things that can provoke a bleed OP which is why you're already on restricted/light activities (although many bleeds from PP are unprovoked). I hope the positive stories people can share will give you peace of mind and hope that despite this complication you will have a relatively smooth pregnancy. Best of luck.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (09-11-2016),kim85  (08-11-2016),Mamasupial  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Best of luck Hun. I had partial previa and it moved for me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

kim85  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. Yes I have the worst grade.. my placenta is smack bang in the centre of my cervix.. Dr doesn't see it moving too far but he said he could be surprised. I am just so scared of delivering before 36 weeks. I still have 11 weeks to get to that point which is scary. I plan on finishing work very early just so I can do nothing all day except in the house.. it just scares me. Every time I go to the toilet I'm checking the paper.. pretty stressful

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had grade 4 placenta previa. I was actually lucky that I didn't have any bleeding until the end. I finished work around 30wks and took it easy. I was booked in for a c-section at 36+2 and had one steroid injection. I was due to have a second one but haemorrhaged that morning. I got an ambulance to hospital and had a c-section 2hrs later. I was 36wks and my DD was fine, didn't even need to go into the SCU. I also just avoided needing a blood transfusion.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluehawaii For This Useful Post:

bel2466  (08-11-2016),kim85  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Grade 4 pp here for me aswell. I found out at my 20wk scan. Had another growth scan at 24,28,32 and 36 wks. I finished work at the end of 32wks as my body couldn't go in anymore. Technically I wouldn't of been allowed to go past 34wks as you need medical clearance to do so. Sometime between 32 wks and 36 wks my placenta moved but not enough for me to delivery vaginally. At the 36 wk scan the placenta was showing signs of seperating and clotting aswell and my amniotic fluid levels had dropped (don't know why as I hadn't dilated at all). Bubs was delivered via emergency c-sec at 37+2 days in just under 4mins. I lost 800mls of blood and had major clots, umbilical cord was only half full of blood aswell. I was put down to have a transfusion but never received it and still now 4 months later my OB has never been given an answer as he ordered one for me. Because of blood loss my body was in stock and the next day my blood pressure dropped significant so much that I had to have a midwife in with me until it went up again which took a few days

Not everyone's experience is a bad one with pp as ALOT of times it does and can move. Being an older mum (39), also having had so many IVF drugs pumped through my system for 4 yrs, multiple miscarriages are some of things that can cause pp

Best thing to do is not base others experiences in what you might have

You OB will order more growth scans for you later down the track and if nothing has changed they wouldn't let you deliver vaginally it will be a c-sec and it will also not be to full term

I also had steroid injections to boost DS lung capacity because he was coming out earlier and i didn't have any bleeds at all during my pregnancy apart from a couple scares early on at 6wks then 8 wks

Note: after everything that I went through DS2 came out healthy and scored 9/10 on his agpar test at 1min then 9/10 at 10mins. He's thriving now although he has a dairy intolerance that he'll hopefully grow out of one day.
    Last edited by babybeeno1; 08-11-2016 at 19:39.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

kim85  (08-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you ladies I love reading your stories. It makes me feel better hearing people getting past 32 weeks even though I know my story could be different. I'm hoping I can hold out to finish work at 30 weeks I'm so unfit from no exercise that everything is becoming more of a strain. It's been 4 weeks since my bleed but doctor said to expect bleeds between 24-30 weeks which is where I'm at now. Fingers crossed he is wrong