+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wish I could be this organised! I did talk to Mum about it last night though. She's arriving on 17 December so I think I'll just wait for her to arrive then do some brainstorming

2. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (12-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I host a family breakfast (gets the in-laws done for the day ). Table set the night before and all the food cooked on the BBQ. Tasty but not stressful

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (12-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Who's hosting Christmas this year?

We are hosting Christmas again this year because we have the pool but it will be interesting to see how it goes because I'll be just short of 39 weeks pregnant!

Luckily my family help out every year regardless of who is hosting. We normally as sort certain dishes out and then meet at one persons house so the cooking is on everyone anyway.

DW will be doing her awesome glazed ham again this year and we will be doing either beef or a pork roast as well. We usually do home made potato salad along with a variety of other salads (yet to be decided). For dessert, we usually will have a mini pavlovas (or just the fruit if that's what you want) that you build yourself and a layered custard dish that has sponge fingers and peaches. I believe DW wants to make Christmas tree meringues as well this year.

It sounds small and simple writing it out (and I'm not sure what everyone else is bringing this year) but usually there is enough food to feed an army and leftovers for everyone for at least a few days!

We also make an awesome Christmas drink that has milk, sugar, small amount of coffee, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and either rum or vodka. This year we will make a bottle without alcohol for me to have and OMG it's one of my favourite parts of Christmas.
    There will be about 10 or 11 of us though and we always have a great time!

I'm not sure how we will decorate this year. I wanted to put lights up outside along the pool fence and we always buy a fresh Christmas tree (can't not have the smell of Christmas) but we put it in the rumpus window so we can see it and the lights once it's dark from the gazebo outside which is where we will eat because we are usually in and out of the pool at the same time.

Oh and I must add - we celebrate Christmas Eve so all of the above is for dinner. We then just have everyone come around for leftovers on Christmas Day and we laze around the pool with some drinks (well not me this year). I find it so much more festive to celebrate in the evening because we get the Christmas tunes going on the sound bar and keep ourselves busy until midnight when we exchange gifts.... I'm going to need a nap this year!!
    Last edited by TortoiseNotTheHare; 12-11-2016 at 05:15.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TortoiseNotTheHare For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma  (12-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are! Quiet Christmas just us and my parents. Turkey and ham with potato bake, cheesy caulifower, honey carrots and pumpkin with trifle, cheesecake for dessert

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Tiny Dancer the berry and mint punch sounds amazing! Do you mind posting the recipe if you have time? Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love how different everyone's menus are! My mum always hosts Christmas which is OK with me as she is an awesome cook. We do cold lunch of ham, pork and Turkey with a variety of salads and then another variety of desserts to finish. Usually a frozen nougat one that my mum loves, a cheesecake as I always request it and then a couple of others that are cold as well.
    I love our Christmas meals, we end up eating the leftovers for about a week because mum over caters so much. Your menus all sound so amazing though and have left me wanting to try something different as well!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ummmm what's hosting Xmas mean?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Who's hosting Christmas this year?

Quote Originally Posted by MysticFalls View Post
    Ummmm what's hosting Xmas mean?
    Having the family/friends over to your home for the Christmas celebration. Whether that's Christmas Eve (as we do in our family), Christmas Day lunch or dinner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGooch View Post
    I'm so excited for Christmas! I'm hosting my family at our place a couple of days before Xmas. No idea yet what DH's family are doing.

On our menu so far is:
    Entree
    Grilled prawns with rose butter sauce
    Grilled bugs
    Mango & mint salsa

Main
    Sweet n tangy glazed ham
    Prosciutto wrapped beef fillet
    Tarragon chicken
    Roast pork
    Roast parsnips, potatoes and pumpkin
    Maple glazed baby carrots
    Greens beans and crispy pancetta
    Minted peas

Dessert
    White chocolate trifle
    Christmas pudding
    Christmas ice cream cake
    Count me in 😊

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (13-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcorset View Post
    @Tiny Dancer the berry and mint punch sounds amazing! Do you mind posting the recipe if you have time? Thanks!
    Will do this afternoon 😊

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

Redcorset  (14-11-2016)