Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean to hit a nerve. I was that skinny kid who had parents trying to get an extra couple of kilos on her. It never worked...my metabolism and genes weren't having any of it. At 21 I weighed 48kg and I'm not short. If it's teasing and bullying that's the issue, I understand as I went through it myself. But it's potentially going to be easier to address that with the school than to try and get him to gain weight.
    The only way I've ever gained weight is through exercise and building muscle. You could look at upping your son's exercise activity to increase his muscle mass. I'm thinking things like swimming etc that offers some resistance when he is exercising to build his muscle mass.
    Sorry too, I was a little too defensive as I too was the same as him and you and I just don't want it for him if I can help it. The school has been basically useless so I hoped if I could bulk him up a little at home it might just give him a boost.

He does martial arts three times a week, baseball twice a week - I've just stopped swimming lessons as quite frankly he just cannot do it after 9yrs of swimming lessons and I can't watch him anymore. He used to run 4.2km on a Sunday morning but baseball got in the way over summer. He's really not a coordinated kid bless him but he loves sport but begged not to have to swim any more. He has a six pack which he is highly proud of but if you touch him you feel like you're going to break him. I do agree that it probably won't work putting weight on him, never worked with me, but you know when you just feel like you have to try something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @monnie24 he will miss his milo cereal but I agree with what you are saying, it was introduced when he started not wanting breakfast and I should have tried something else.

He has just started wanting to cook with us so will foster that some more.

I really do appreciate all the tips from everyone, he's a sweet kid that's had a rough time at school, loves sport but isn't quite coordinated, went through a tough stage of glasses and a mouth retainer and just lacks a bit of confidence. We're working on things bit by bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Barnaby do you make your own protein balls or can you buy them somewhere?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hugs Hun don't worry your doing great job I was opposite in school over weight and I still am! Sure you are doing a great job

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ICanDream will he eat peanut butter? Or any nut butter? Nuts are full of good fats and protein. DS2 is only 4 but skin and bone so I let him eat peanut butter by the spoonful! You can also use nut butters as a base for protein balls. They are super easy to make yourself. Just google or Pinterest and you'll find plenty of recipes. All you need is a stick blender or food processor. You can buy them but they often are very high in sugar.

Huge hugs. Kids can be cruel.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    Off to google - hadn't thought about that and don't know much about them, thank you.
    Wholefood simply have good bliss balls - they do not use protein powder but use nuts for the protein. They are yum.

Maybe try shakes with coconut or almond milk? I use those and it does not taste milky. Coconut does add more taste but almond is fairly tasteless.

Did you want to try getting fat or protein in his diet? Or just calories? As for fat you can try coconut oil in his smoothies (if he will drink that).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ICanDream, I hope the tag works, because I am losing my space bar when I quote atm. I understand where you're coming from regarding wanting to try something. I was on my phone before, and I've had issues with my keyboard when posting from my phone so I was keeping it short, which then completely lost the tone of my post in doing so.
    Fair enough re swimming. Running will burn off his muscle, so probably isn't the greatest exercise for bulking. If he's uncoordinated but likes his muscles etc...what about cross fit for kids? I'm not a huge fan of cross fit, but it's hard to get a weight based training program that is designed for kids, and cross fit have one. Otherwise, a local gym that might have child specific programs. Ultimately though, the best thing for him will be to accept his body shape...a very hard thing to do, I know. It sounds like he's going to be dealing with being skinny and struggling to put on weight for some time yet, though if it's genetic.
    As far as protein balls go...they're really easy to make, you just need some kind of food processor....mixture of nuts, dates, cocoa and coconut oil to bind it altogether works well. Try and get something more substantial in him for breakfast if you can...it can be hard when they're going through a fussy stage, and sugary cereals are pretty addictive so it can be hard to get them to stop eating them, but it will at least sustain him for a bit longer throughout the day if he isn't eating much at school.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel for you. I know how frustrating it is ! I look at DS now and just wish he'd put on some weight ! I know he'd feel less self conscious ! We mums never stop worrying do we !

Xxx

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Instead of ditching the cereal altogether as he loves it maybe use it as a snack instead of a meal.

Could be an after school snack or a round 2 for breakfast

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the risk of being slammed we let our kids have weetbix with sugar and a bit of cream for breakfast. They will now eat enough breakfast to get them through to morning tea with what I think is better nutrition than rice bubbles.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1  (06-11-2016),ICanDream  (06-11-2016)