Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    Strangely no he doesn't like milkshakes, I've tried the sustagen powder in both milk and water - wont drink the milk and have to say it was pretty gross in water.

I've been trying to use my dietitian notes from when I went but it's not working so maybe he needs to see his own. It's being stuck in that position of not trying to make a big thing of it but I think it would really help him just to have 2kgs. He is having trouble with clothes too as he needs the length as he's quite tall but then they don't fit his weight but even that's not really the issue.
    Yeah my son is the same. He needs length but width is where he struggles to find clothes

I do think a dietician just for him would be helpful as kids have different dietary requirements than adults I believe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Would be drink a non milk based smoothie? Like with an oat milk base instead? Or even juice based. Bananas are calorific so if he likes those add them to things!

If he eats well at dinner maybe use fattier cuts of meat, anything that needs slow cooking would work.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @ICanDream the hub is often quiet on weekends especially during the day. I've not had personal experience with this but just offering ideas.

What about omelettes for breakfast with lots of cheese, maybe ham and veg.

I would also try and address the not eating at school, is he too keen to play so doesn't take the time? Maybe something really easy to eat or to tempting to ignore? Maybe lots of small snack items, mini quiche, muffins, meatballs.

I would try to make sure all dairy is full fat, custard, yoghurt, cheese.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mummymaybe For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    Would be drink a non milk based smoothie? Like with an oat milk base instead? Or even juice based. Bananas are calorific so if he likes those add them to things!

If he eats well at dinner maybe use fattier cuts of meat, anything that needs slow cooking would work.
    Thank you will look into the oat milk and am happy to try juice. He used to love bananas but a kid at school made some comment to him about bananas and now he won't touch them but maybe I could add them. My DS doesn't let things go unfortunately and is quite concerned about what other kids at school think of him especially now he's been bullied - but that's a whole different issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymaybe View Post
    @ICanDream the hub is often quiet on weekends especially during the day. I've not had personal experience with this but just offering ideas.

What about omelettes for breakfast with lots of cheese, maybe ham and veg.

I would also try and address the not eating at school, is he too keen to play so doesn't take the time? Maybe something really easy to eat or to tempting to ignore? Maybe lots of small snack items, mini quiche, muffins, meatballs.

I would try to make sure all dairy is full fat, custard, yoghurt, cheese.
    The not eating at school I think you've hit the nail on the head and he's too keen if someone asks him to play that he'll drop his lunch as he won't risk being left out. I like the idea about small things thank you. They get 10 mins to eat in the classroom I think which should be enough for him but it isn't so the bite size would work well.

Will offer the more substantial breakfast too, it has been a while since I offered as he kept declining but happy to try again.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son doesn't need to gain weight but he is pretty lean and is also happy to go basically a whole day at school with no food (he would rather play). Given that I drop him at OOSH at 7am and he doesn't get collected until 4.30pm, it's a long day.

I always make him either porridge or eggs of some form for breakfast. I don't let him eat cereal on school days because it's not filling enough.

I tell him he has to eat a piece of fruit in the car on the way to school (usually apple or banana)

He absolutely will not eat recess.

For lunch he only wants one lunch item and will not eat more than this. I put a wrap or sushi or a big roll or something. But I have noticed that he classifies Up and Go as a drink and not food, so I put one of those in there a lot as well because at least I know he will have it.

Thankfully they are made to eat crunch and sip in the afternoons, which is always veg sticks.

Then he eats an early dinner when we get home because he is hungry. Because he eats dinner early I give him a snack before bed.

Sooo... I guess my tips would be up and go's (if there is a dairy free option)? An early dinner with a snack later? Or maybe even he will eat seconds of his dinner if he eats the first lot earlier? Protein balls are great, I keep them on hand for ds1.
    Last edited by Barnaby; 06-11-2016 at 14:44.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    Does it actually matter why he is skinny? I'm asking for advice related to gaining weight in kids, not as to whether or not other people think it is necessary.

If no one can offer anything it'll be a dead thread like all the other ones I've started.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to hit a nerve. I was that skinny kid who had parents trying to get an extra couple of kilos on her. It never worked...my metabolism and genes weren't having any of it. At 21 I weighed 48kg and I'm not short. If it's teasing and bullying that's the issue, I understand as I went through it myself. But it's potentially going to be easier to address that with the school than to try and get him to gain weight.
    The only way I've ever gained weight is through exercise and building muscle. You could look at upping your son's exercise activity to increase his muscle mass. I'm thinking things like swimming etc that offers some resistance when he is exercising to build his muscle mass.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've found with my kids that their appetites natuarlly increased when they hit puberty and had major growth spurts.

The small skinny 10 year old who nibbled at breakfast, bought lunch home uneaten most days and ate some dinner, has become the food obsessed 12 year old who cannot be filled up.

The food you are providing sounds fine.

If you want to get more protein into him, look at eggs and nuts. I give my DD poached chicken and salad sandwiches for her school lunches and she likes them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would drop the milo cereal and Nutri grain as it's empty calories (yes I know kids love it) I would try and mash avocado even sliced into omelettes.

Would he try cooking with you?

Nuts! Legumes. Veggies. My friend is extremely thin but she is vegan now and looks healthier than ever. Maybe get him to eat some cheese etc

Muesli bars? Does he like sport or anything good luck Hun

15. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Adding in a couple ideas for breaky as my DS1 is prob the same as yours. If there was a 110% for height he would be in it and he is 5% for weight and 152cm at 9yrs of age. He struggles to put weight on. Genetics. Twice a week he gets poached eggs on toast he also gets ham and cheese croissant, porridge, hash browns (weekend only), weetbix. Some days for lunch I'll heat up sausages from the night before and wrap them in alfoil so he has that for lunch in bread with sauce. Chicken sangers for the protein, mini quiches is another one I'll chuck in for a recess snack

17. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016)