Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Weight gain for 10yo without dairy

Wondering if anyone has any tips? DS is 10 and could do with a couple more kilos on him. He is a good eater especially at dinner but not so great with breakfast and lunch.

Breakfast is anything from porridge to weetbix to toast, nutragrain and lately I have allowed milo cereal. I'm not sure he's always hungry in the morning but isn't allowed to go without breakfast.

He takes a full lunch box to school but generally doesn't eat it all at school but will after school. Lately all sandwiches or main part of his lunch is coming home uneaten. He chooses what he has but still isn't eating it.

Dinner he will eat massive amounts plus yogurt.

He has no allergies and isn't fussy in general but will not drink milk or any kind of milk related drink so I can't get sustagen or anything into him - I've tried with water but it's pretty gross.

He doesn't like avocado either and I'm not looking to introduce loads of junk food just wondered if anyone had any tips that have worked for them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does he need to gain weight for medical purposes? If he's just a skinny kid don't worry about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Adding...I would focus on his eating patterns...not eating all day and then eating huge amounts at night is a bad habit to get in to, so I'd focus more on encouraging him to eat at more regular intervals.
    Some kids just are skinny...if he's healthy then he's at their weight he needs to be at. I wouldn't worry about trying to get him to gain extra kilos...he's unlikely to anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Weight gain for 10yo without dairy

Does it actually matter why he is skinny? I'm asking for advice related to gaining weight in kids, not as to whether or not other people think it is necessary.

If no one can offer anything it'll be a dead thread like all the other ones I've started.
    Last edited by ICanDream; 06-11-2016 at 13:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can so relate to this .

My DS is 21 yrs old and weighs 48kgs. He has a super fast metabolism and is underweight for his age and height according to GP.

He has been through a lot of bullying due to his weight and even now as an adult , other adults have bullied him at work due to it.

He saw a dietician who put him on a weight gain diet and milk and milk was the # 1 thing on the list.

It's so hard to see them suffer for something that is beyond their control .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Louise41 yes the teasing is affecting his confidence. I'm underweight and know how hard it is, I feel for your son. If I could find a way to crack his milk reluctance I'd be thrilled, he's not allergic just doesn't seem to like it much. He'll have it on cereal but will leave it all in the bottom of the bowl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    @Louise41 yes the teasing is affecting his confidence. I'm underweight and know how hard it is, I feel for your son. If I could find a way to crack his milk reluctance I'd be thrilled, he's not allergic just doesn't seem to like it much. He'll have it on cereal but will leave it all in the bottom of the bowl.
    Does he like milk shakes ? Would he go see a dietician with you? Chat to your GP as you might be able to go on a health plan that gives you reduced fee sessions with a dietician .

My DS was just here for lunch and of course it's hot and he was in a singlet top and he is so skinny .. 21 and size XS-S men's ! I wish he'd gain a few kgs but can't seem to crack the 50 kg.

Sustagen hospital is a great powder to add to milk .. has a lot of vitamins and minerals and helps bulk them up a bit. You can get chocolate and vanilla flavour. Maybe worth a try if he will have milkshakes

I feel for you ! I know how hard it is seeing them hurt. When DS told me a few months ago he was being bullied at work by adults I was livid.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I feel sad that you feel your posts are dead threads. Xx

What about protein balls?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (06-11-2016),Mod-Uniquey  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    Does he like milk shakes ? Would he go see a dietician with you? Chat to your GP as you might be able to go on a health plan that gives you reduced fee sessions with a dietician .

My DS was just here for lunch and of course it's hot and he was in a singlet top and he is so skinny .. 21 and size XS-S men's ! I wish he'd gain a few kgs but can't seem to crack the 50 kg.

Sustagen hospital is a great powder to add to milk .. has a lot of vitamins and minerals and helps bulk them up a bit. You can get chocolate and vanilla flavour. Maybe worth a try if he will have milkshakes

I feel for you ! I know how hard it is seeing them hurt. When DS told me a few months ago he was being bullied at work by adults I was livid.
    Strangely no he doesn't like milkshakes, I've tried the sustagen powder in both milk and water - wont drink the milk and have to say it was pretty gross in water.

I've been trying to use my dietitian notes from when I went but it's not working so maybe he needs to see his own. It's being stuck in that position of not trying to make a big thing of it but I think it would really help him just to have 2kgs. He is having trouble with clothes too as he needs the length as he's quite tall but then they don't fit his weight but even that's not really the issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I feel sad that you feel your posts are dead threads. Xx

What about protein balls?
    Off to google - hadn't thought about that and don't know much about them, thank you.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (06-11-2016)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast