+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Okay. *disclaimer, I have no direct experience with the schools you mentioned*

My thoughts, the state school is quite a distance from the private school and the traffic between the two schools can be gridlocked in the early morning. Without knowing exactly where you live, you may find the travel times quoted are optimistic. I wouldn't want a child sitting in that traffic every morning. You also need to consider the extracurricular activities your child may be involved in when they get to the upper primary years eg eg I've had kids needing to be at school at 7.30am for sports practice, band rehearsal etc.

There are a lot perfectly fine state schools closer to the private school you mentioned which may be closer to your home.

These state schools that are in the vicinity of that private school, have a good reputation and may suit your needs and be closer to where you currently live.

**will delete later**

In addition, **** is about the same distance as the state school you are considering and I would choose it over the one you mentioned. (based on my own preconceived biases).

I know a number of people who have sent their child to the private primary you are considering. While the primary is good, they have found that because the high school is relatively new and so small the subject choices in senior are very limited. About half of the families ended up sending their kids elsewhere for highschool. Out of the families I know, the ones who kept their kids are the ones who also attend the church and have a strong connection to the community. Obviously things will change as the school grows and may not be the case when your DD is ready for highschool.
    Our problem is that now we are so far into the year we only have those two choices (or our catchment school which is no good). All of those are excellent, but once we had her in the private school, we didn't consider other options because we fell in love. Then someone suggested the public school, so we took a look and were offered a place and I can only assume as its getting closer my husband is worrying. He got us into some financial trouble earlier in the year (prior to looking at the private school I might add), so I took over and got us out of it and now manage the finances, but I guess it made him realise nothing is definite and financial circumstances can change - I am all too aware of this too, but we could manage. Making something of himself is very important to him, and he feels he needs that extra money to do so. We have reached a stalemate, he gave me an option to agree to the private school if I agreed on xyz, I agreed and thought it was done but he is still at me about it and doesn't feel heard. It is obviously a deeper issue, which needs to be resolved. At this point I feel like giving in because I just can't be bothered fighting anymore, but I know I will resent the travel time & if the school isn't up to scratch. I got side tracked there, and thank you for your suggestions. I think that we might have to do a call around to some other closer schools on the off chance that they have places. We did have a place in a catholic school around the corner, but we declined when we realised our kids would never be on the same campus as they are split. I never thought this would be so hard, we were on the same page only months ago, but now he's had a change of heart and I'm so angry about it!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bwrlab For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (07-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert01 View Post
    OP, it seems like travel time is the biggest concern you have at present, is that right?

Aside from that do both of these schools seem like equally good 'fits' for your daughter?

I can understand how travel time is important. School days can be long and tiring, for everybody. To be honest, I would be wanting to minimise any outside of hours school care, if I could. It costs money and just creates more time pressure for already stressed out and time poor parents...although, I believe lots of kids love it.

Do you currently rent or own your own property?

Would it be worthwhile moving closer to the public school?

Does your dh feel strongly enough about the public school to take the lion's share of the drop offs and pick ups?
    Travel time is a factor definitely, I have a job where some days I need to be out by 7am, others 9 or 10, it just depends. I will be doing all pickups due to flexibility, she would need to be in after school care 3 days a week for a short time. The private school has supervised play until 3:20 so that does appeal to me because it's more likely we can avoid using after school care. We don't own our property, we rent currently - The area of the public school is substantially more expensive and would be more than the school fees in the increase of rent to move, we've lived in our current house for 2.5 years and we love the area. DH offered to do the majority of drop offs, but took that back when I agreed to consider that because it isn't fair (which I agree with).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @bwrlab FWIW I grew up in Brisbane, moved away for over a decade and came back with school aged kids in December. I enrolled mine no problems in the January a week or so before school went back. The school mine go to isn't the local, but is in the next suburb over.

I can fully understand why you want your kids to go to that private primary. It is a good school and has always had a good reputation. If I was in your shoes, I would be concerned about the travel time and traffic getting to the state school you are considering. It's not just school travel, your kids will make friends with kids who live local to the school and want to get together on weekends for playdates etc.

I *think* I know the catholic school you are referring to. Does it have a royal name? If yes, I don't know anything about it or your local state school. Also I think the state school you are thinking of would be closer than some that I listed earlier.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 06-11-2016 at 18:32.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

bwrlab  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    @bwrlab FWIW I grew up in Brisbane, moved away for over a decade and came back with school aged kids in December. I enrolled mine no problems in the January a week or so before school went back. The school mine go to isn't the local, but is in the next suburb over.

I can fully understand why you want your kids to go to that private primary. It is a good school and has always had a good reputation. If I was in your shoes, I would be concerned about the travel time and traffic getting to the state school you are considering. It's not just school travel, your kids will make friends with kids who live local to the school and want to get together on weekends for playdates etc.

I *think* I know the catholic school you are referring to. Does it have a royal name? If yes, I don't know anything about it or your local state school. Also I think the state school you are thinking of would be closer than some that I listed earlier.
    Yes it does have Queen in the name! We have a 3 year gap between our daughters and when the youngest would start prep the eldest would be on the other campus. It's a shame because we like it but it was important for them to be together. I am going to sit down tonight and factor in all associated costs (camps, outside school hours care etc) and then try and discuss further. I really want to see DHs perspective but it's very hard!