+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would definitely go to the one closer to home. 20 mins each way in the wrong dirc6from work is a long way. I ahree wiyh others. Is there a public close by?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Schooling choice: WWYD?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Is there another school closer?
    There is a public school a few streets away but they have had a lot of issues with principals (they've had 4 in 5 years) and the feedback I've received has been all negative. There is another but it's too large (1000+ kids and 6 prep classes of 25). We were aiming for a smaller school so were selective about this. We've had her enrolled in the private since April & only just got offered a place at the public (it's non catchment managed as it only has 250 students).
    Last edited by bwrlab; 06-11-2016 at 10:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    The public school sounds great. I am a big fan of small schools so would rule out anything I feel is too big if that's relevant for you.

If you take money out of the equation it sounds like the private school would win. I'd go with that. My son spends 20 minutes in the car each day to and from school and it's not long at all. But it does mean he misses out on a lot of incidental play dates with his class mates. But for us it's a no brainier as our local state school is too big and not up to scratch.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

bwrlab  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Baby View Post
    Hi there concerned mum...

2 kids at 5k per kid is 10k per year or 70k per 7 years of primary school.

I went to public school. ..and a selective public high school and have done really well.

Our income is a lot more than yours and I can't justify sending only child who is so bright to a private school. She will do well whether she goes to public or private.

My hubby and I although earn a lot once you pay for a few of the mortgages..as we have several houses..not much money left over...we invested extra money into a holiday home..other things you can do with your money.

But the school I have chosen is 2 km from home I can walk.

Are there any other schools closer to you.

I personally would rather spend extra money on extra activities and a lovely holiday once a year.

Just some numbers for you. ..1 child 5k for 7 years is 35k...fees will only go up. 6 years in high school another 60k.. so nearly 100. ..you could have an amazing deposit for your child when they are 21 and finish uni..or 100 is what you need to pay for a uni degree.

.Butterfly
    Yes, once we accounted for fees for both and increases, it will be $100,000 for the both of them over the 7 years. It's a lot of money. In 2018 our income will rise by 50% as we own a business that we draw a profit from currently (not included in our P/a figure due to fluctuations) but we are paying that business down on finance. We are in an incredibly fortunate situation IMO, however I went to a public high school and in my friendship circle, I am doing better than most others. My husband went to an elite private high school and in comparison to his friends we are doing the worst - so I understand his perspective on the financial side because he feels he could be doing better and the money could be put to better use. I really do understand his concerns, but feel we manage to save a lot every single week without the additional business profit & are currently paying more than the schools fees in daycare every week ($13k p/a just for the eldest) so sending her to the private school is still saving us $8k per year).

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    The public school sounds great. I am a big fan of small schools so would rule out anything I feel is too big if that's relevant for you.

If you take money out of the equation it sounds like the private school would win. I'd go with that. My son spends 20 minutes in the car each day to and from school and it's not long at all. But it does mean he misses out on a lot of incidental play dates with his class mates. But for us it's a no brainier as our local state school is too big and not up to scratch.
    Definitely don't want anything too large, the private school has 570 p-6, so it's bigger than the public but I feel still a reasonable size. One of her best friends from kindy is also attending the private school.

Another consideration for me is that when we buy a house we are moving further out. Our aim is to live there for a year and then rent it out, and buy another in the area before moving closer to town again. It will take 45 minutes from the new area - it's just too much for me but my DH keeps saying 'if we lived in Melbourne or Sydney that would be normal.' We live in Brisbane, and 45 minutes is just too much for me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bwrlab View Post
    Definitely don't want anything too large, the private school has 570 p-6, so it's bigger than the public but I feel still a reasonable size. One of her best friends from kindy is also attending the private school.

Another consideration for me is that when we buy a house we are moving further out. Our aim is to live there for a year and then rent it out, and buy another in the area before moving closer to town again. It will take 45 minutes from the new area - it's just too much for me but my DH keeps saying 'if we lived in Melbourne or Sydney that would be normal.' We live in Brisbane, and 45 minutes is just too much for me!
    45 minutes from the public or private school?

ETA are you willing to say the names of the schools? Someone on here may have kids or know someone with kids at one of the schools.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 06-11-2016 at 11:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post

ETA are you willing to say the names of the schools? Someone on here may have kids or know someone with kids at one of the schools.
    I'd do it for high school not primary.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post

45 minutes from the public school, 25 to the private, but private is on the way to my husbands work (about 5 minutes). It would take DH another 15-20 from the public school to his work. And my office is in the other direction.
    Last edited by bwrlab; 06-11-2016 at 16:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, it seems like travel time is the biggest concern you have at present, is that right?

Aside from that do both of these schools seem like equally good 'fits' for your daughter?

I can understand how travel time is important. School days can be long and tiring, for everybody. To be honest, I would be wanting to minimise any outside of hours school care, if I could. It costs money and just creates more time pressure for already stressed out and time poor parents...although, I believe lots of kids love it.

Do you currently rent or own your own property?

Would it be worthwhile moving closer to the public school?

Does your dh feel strongly enough about the public school to take the lion's share of the drop offs and pick ups?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bwrlab View Post
    45 minutes from the public school, 25 to the private,
    Okay. *disclaimer, I have no direct experience with the schools you mentioned*

My thoughts, the state school is quite a distance from the private school and the traffic between the two schools can be gridlocked in the early morning. Without knowing exactly where you live, you may find the travel times quoted are optimistic. I wouldn't want a child sitting in that traffic every morning. You also need to consider the extracurricular activities your child may be involved in when they get to the upper primary years eg eg I've had kids needing to be at school at 7.30am for sports practice, band rehearsal etc.

There are a lot perfectly fine state schools closer to the private school you mentioned which may be closer to your home.

These state schools that are in the vicinity of that private school, have a good reputation and may suit your needs and be closer to where you currently live.

** deleted for privacy **

In addition, ***** is about the same distance as the state school you are considering and I would choose it over the one you mentioned. (based on my own preconceived biases).

I know a number of people who have sent their child to the private primary you are considering. While the primary is good, they have found that because the high school is relatively new and so small the subject choices in senior are very limited. About half of the families ended up sending their kids elsewhere for highschool. Out of the families I know, the ones who kept their kids are the ones who also attend the church and have a strong connection to the community. Obviously things will change as the school grows and may not be the case when your DD is ready for highschool.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 06-11-2016 at 18:03.