+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Schooling choice: WWYD?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Is it 5k for every year? Many private schools start at 5k and are 15k by senior high school...
    The tuition is $5-6k in primary and $7-8k in high school. It's very reasonably priced. My husband said he'd rather buy that dollar value in shares for the primary years and send her to the public school so that it is not actually the cost he's worried about but the value for money...and that primary school is where you go to learn to draw circles *eye roll*

He doesn't think primary school is important but I see it as the foundation for later years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think primary is definitely just as important as high school! I would definitely though work out now which high school you are sending her too, usually there are long wait lists for private high schools whereas if she was already at the private primary she will get automatic entry , my nieces went public until 3rd class and then changed to private so you could always try compromise by doing that? Most private schools have intake years at 3rd and 5th class - also have you taken into account the before school care costs plus as pp said petrol and travel expenses plus most private schools don't have extra costs for extra curricular activities and excursions, text books ect so find out what each school charges for those

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For me it is important to pick a school that would suit my child rather than public vs private.

I would do pros/cons. Ignore one being private and the other public.

I would think of what is important to me/child. Class sizes? Extra curriculum programs? Extra support for my child if needed? What is the principal like? Styles of teaching? If you have a preference to high school do they need to attend a specific primary school?

Put it all on paper. Discuss this with your DH.

Also if money is an issue for your DH you might need to take into account extra expenses like uniforms/books etc etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What does your daughter want?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there concerned mum...

2 kids at 5k per kid is 10k per year or 70k per 7 years of primary school.

I went to public school. ..and a selective public high school and have done really well.

Our income is a lot more than yours and I can't justify sending only child who is so bright to a private school. She will do well whether she goes to public or private.

My hubby and I although earn a lot once you pay for a few of the mortgages..as we have several houses..not much money left over...we invested extra money into a holiday home..other things you can do with your money.

But the school I have chosen is 2 km from home I can walk.

Are there any other schools closer to you.

I personally would rather spend extra money on extra activities and a lovely holiday once a year.

Just some numbers for you. ..1 child 5k for 7 years is 35k...fees will only go up. 6 years in high school another 60k.. so nearly 100. ..you could have an amazing deposit for your child when they are 21 and finish uni..or 100 is what you need to pay for a uni degree.

.Butterfly
    Last edited by Butterfly Baby; 06-11-2016 at 05:18.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butterfly Baby For This Useful Post:

bwrlab  (06-11-2016),Wise Enough  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In your situation, I would choose the private school. Can you add up the cost of 80 mins of travel time per day (eg, 40 mins for you to drop her off & go on to work, then 40 mins for you to pick her up and return home) including petrol, and then add the cost of before school care, and remember that if you have to travel 20 mins to pick her up, you may possibly need after school care too by the time you are able to collect her - and present your DH with the figures? I would guess that the travel time and before/after school care for a year would cost a few k at least?

My family income is less than 1/2 of yours - closer to 1/3 - and our DD goes to a private school - fees are 4k per year. She is happy and thriving and in the best place she could be - worth every $$ IMO. I think ultimately, I don't put money or travel as a primary concern - it is where my child will thrive that really matters to me.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (06-11-2016),KitiK  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It seems like you're not concerned with the cost and your dh with the travel, so I would put that aside for now and consider what you find important in a school; what you're unwilling to compromise on, and which of those schools are most suited.

Personally, the academic figures aren't something we took in to account. We hold more value in the social and emotional aspects of school, so my main thing would be a sense of community in the school and the flow on to weekends etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Unschooling4 View Post
    What does your daughter want?
    A 4-5 year old isn't going to understand the difference between two schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The private school appears the best option now but how many children do you have and how much do the fees go up each year? It could become unaffordable later down the track. We are moving DS1&2 to a public school next year as the fees were becoming too much and would have peaked at about $45k per year when all three kids were at school.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post

A 4-5 year old isn't going to understand the difference between two schools.
    Agree. They aren't going to understand the opportunity cost of the extra travel time, or how the cost will or won't affect the finances.

We are very big on democracy in our household. But my kids are significantly older and have the capacity to understand much more.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (06-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Is there another school closer?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (06-11-2016)