+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Schooling choice: WWYD?

My husband and I want our eldest daughter to go to two different schools. We initially had her booked into a private school but had a look at a public school out of curiosity. I would still like her to go to the private school, we loved it, it was a good fit, it's 10 minutes from home in the direction of DHs work and we wouldn't have to use before school care as it starts at 8:25 - it equates to $100 per week, we currently pay $250 for her to go to daycare. My husband wants her to go to the public school, we liked it the vibe, it's small (which can be both good or bad IMO), it's 20 minutes from home in the opposite direction of both our jobs, we'd likely have to use before school care as well as after because it starts later (8:55) and finishes at the same time (even though DH has said we won't, eventually I can foresee we would use it due to our work hours), but it's free. Neither of us want what the other wants. DH's reason is that we are saving for a house and the $5k p/a it would cost for the private school has put him off. We earn $145k p/a between us in our jobs and that is to increase substantially in 2018. I see the financial concern, but not enough to warrant not sending her to a school I love.

Anyone faced a similar problem? What would you do? I'm so furious, I went back to work and bring in 40% of the total household income even though I didn't want to return, and I feel like I'm being forced to just give in to keep the peace :-(

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I would go the private school - it's in a better location, as you say it's a good fit etc and for a private school the cost is reasonable especially considering your income. Driving 20 minutes either way each day to the public school would get very annoying - remember you'll have to go both ways at drop off and pick up so that's 40 minutes just to drop off and another 40 minutes for pick up.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (06-11-2016),Phia  (05-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree - travelling time is dead time that could be spent doing more useful or fun things. $5k is really reasonable. Where I am it's more like $15k. (Mine is in childcare, we have a public school across the road - its pretty big but it's got a good rep and she will go to that). I've thought about other schools but convenience makes for happier families for many.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is there a public school closer to your home? Seems like a long way to travel for a local public school?
    Personally I would prefer a public school education, BUT if you really love the private one and it's more convenient and let's face it, quite reasonable cost-wise, I would go with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that travel time is too much. It's great that you like the public school and are entertaining different options for your daughter but if they're not right, they're not right. Yes you would save $5k on fees but how much would you be spending on fuel driving all that way? Not to mention the hassle of school time traffic, long drive home with a tired little one, all that stuff. I think your husband is being a little bit short sighted here

My DP wanted DD to go to the most expensive private school in our area, but I'd always wanted her to go to the local public one. He was frustrated at first, that I didn't see it his way, but all I could say was, "Look, I kept an open mind, I looked into it and genuinely considered it but I just don't feel like it's the best fit for us". You could try something along those lines.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to frankie46 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (05-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm a public advocate, but given the travel time and the fact the fees are only 5k in your case I'd choose the private. You have a really good household income, 5k in the scheme of nearly 150k is nothing and time is money. Add up the extra mins each way 5 days a week for a whole school year and times it by one of your hourly rates. That will show 5k is really here nor there for your family.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (05-11-2016),clb84  (05-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Which is the better school? In way of education & what it can offer your daughter academically?

That would be my priority, if I had to travel further for the better school, I would do

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would start with a list of what I look for in a school. Forget the options for now, just write your list of what's important to you in a school, and rate the factors by importance. Then add a column for each of the schools and see which boxes they tick.

Which one ticks the most boxes? Which one ticks the most boxes for high priority factors?

That's how I'd decide. And I'd sit down and do this together, so you can both see the pros and cons clearly and as objectively as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it 5k for every year? Many private schools start at 5k and are 15k by senior high school...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Schooling choice: WWYD?

Quote Originally Posted by Calstar View Post
    Which is the better school? In way of education & what it can offer your daughter academically?

That would be my priority, if I had to travel further for the better school, I would do
    The private school out performs the public academically, their results are outstanding. They also offer more co-curricular activities and educational opportunities such as learning languages in the early years as opposed to for 2-3 years at the end. It is also a p-12 school with high school on a different campus.

ETA: not that I think my DD will require it they also have in house speech pathologists, psychologists and occupational therapists. We have a younger DD who is only 2 who may require this (though nothing indicates thus far that she would). I feel it would cover off more ranges of students than public.
    Last edited by bwrlab; 05-11-2016 at 18:41.